• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Merlin sites? (1 Viewer)

amears

Did a quick thread search on here and not too much popped up. Have a friend living in Saltaire who's not having much luck finding Merlins despite trying some well-known sites like Leighton Moss and Blacktoft. Any good tips for time of day, season and location, not too far away?
Thanks in advance,
Andy.

Did a quick thread search on here and not too much popped up. Have a friend living in Saltaire who's not having much luck finding Merlins despite trying some well-known sites like Leighton Moss and Blacktoft. Any good tips for time of day, season and location, not too far away?
Thanks in advance,
Andy.
Hi Andy,only just picked this up. The lack of info may be because even a small falcon like a Merlin are under stress from certain quarters as are the rest of our raptors and nobody will give away sites for any birds under risk. I could suggest your friend tries any of the heather moorland areas as in Washburn or Nidderdale.There a few about but they do take some finding. Checking out the annual reports from local bird/wildlife clubs may give some idea of where to start. The Bradford Ornithology group has a lot of info on local raptors and fairly close to Saltaire.

We had one at Welwick near Spurn the other week but that is the first I have seen in Yorkshire for ages. Blacktoft used to be a good bet in winter but for some years now they have been hit and miss

I hate to say this,but the"game" shooters use them for target practise. It's time the police wildlife officers got out and hammered the gamekeepers.High time shooting becomes a licensed "sport" with draconian penalties for the wrong doers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back