• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making it all work. (1 Viewer)

Hamish57

Dear friends, a new comer here, I have a question I'm sure you have all heard a thousand times. For the sake of keeping it short and not getting tied up in equipment discussion I will not mention makes & models so we can just concentrate on the problem.
I have a Mirrorless Camera and a Spotting Scope together with a large collection of Lenses both native to the Camera and Legacy, all of which I have tried following advice I have already read on various Forums.
The problem I have is the Scope is astonishingly clear viewed with my eye, the Camera produces very sharp and pleasing photos, together they are crap. The Camera does not see what my eye sees.
The best result I have had so far is using the Native 30mm Macro Lens which can focus to within 1 or 2mm, I can Focus manually using Peaking to get a reasonably good photo, but it is one big Vignette circle, the Lens face is resting on the Eyepiece rubber.
If I use a 50mm Legacy Lens, I can't adjust Focus or use Peaking, moving the Focus ring has no effect because I'm way outside the range of the Lens, people say just set it to Infinity, the photo is bad. No Vignette though.
I have tried no Lens at all, still crap.
What am I doing wrong? in all cases the Lens Glass is resting on the Rubber Eyepiece with no light gap. The Scope and Camera are steady, no shake.

Hamish. thanks you in advance.

The make and model of the scope will be helpful because it could be that there is a better way to connect your camera than what you're trying at the moment.

Cheers, Pete

I am not doing digiscoping at the moment, but I guess that especially info about the eyepiece of the scope is important. Zoom or not, magnification, eye-relief etc.

Niels

Thank you both for your replies, the Eyepiece is 20 x 40x and 60x magnification, I have not yet gone beyond 20x. The Camera Mount is designed for the job and adjusts in all directions, up, down, in and out to perfectly align with the Eyepiece and hold it steady. I have also tried it with no Lens fitted, letting the Scope act as a long range Lens, still no good. I think I will just do what I think most people do, go back to a long Lens and stay within 20 feet.

Hamish.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back