• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your 2018 Optics Plans (1 Viewer)

I’m waiting for Canon to discontinue the 15x50 IS and the deals to follow. Happy New Year!

Hey Dave ..... B & H Photo currently has the Canon 15X50 IS listed for $999.00. That compares to Adorama at $1,199.95. There is no expiration date but it says limited supply. They also include a harness and a 2% rewards credit. There are other lower prices but they are likely imported or from a non dealer and will not have the Canon USA warranty. I assume the B & H offering is a Canon USA model but I do not know that for sure.

Beats me what Canon will ultimately do with this model and what the lowest price will be so I thought I would mention the B & H offering in case it hits your sweet spot.

Let us know how it turns out if you get one.

Arran/Gunther, post 20,
The Kite Lynx 8x30 has a large FOV and is a good choice for its price. Moreover you can easily visit the shop to check it, since you are not far away from Kite Optics/Sights of Nature.
Gijs van Ginkel

We have hopes and plans to move to a coastal location someday soon and when that happens I'll be looking for a 15x56 [maybe the Conquest HD] for shore-watches. I just don't get on with scopes and find a high-quality bino, scope-mounted, is far more enjoyable to use.

Also looking to sell my 10x42 FL - gets little use these days. Otherwise, my all-rounders [8x42 HT and 8x32 HD] are so good I have no need to look elsewhere.

I went a bit loco at Bird Fair 2015 and acquired a Zeiss harness intending to use it with a Conquest HD 15x56. I have used it twice and it works OK but my reluctance to use it more is because I always carry a backpack with not only shoulder straps but also chest-strap and waist belt and on the latter have at least one and often two camera holsters. I feel trussed like a Christmas turkey without a harness underneath.

The combination of a harness with a backpack with a chest-strap and a waist belt is only really useful if you're seriously interested in self-bondage.

"Trussed like a christmas turkey" sums it up rather nicely, I think.

Hermann
who doesn't like harnesses

We have hopes and plans to move to a coastal location someday soon and when that happens I'll be looking for a 15x56 [maybe the Conquest HD] for shore-watches. I just don't get on with scopes and find a high-quality bino, scope-mounted, is far more enjoyable to use.

That's a pretty good reason to think about getting a 15x56. Mind you, you might also want to look at the Swarovski 15x56 SLC. I had a chance to have a long look at one in the field, and it's very good indeed.

Hermann

I finally have to admit to having lost the more intense version of the birding 'bug' and have decided to clear out things over the next few months. I think I'll keep my Bushnell Legend 'M' 10x42 and Opticron MM3/HDF zoom, as these will more than suffice for any trips I undertake. On the Debit side, my Meopta scope is already for sale, and it will be followed by my unused Swarovski Habicht WGA 10x40, Swarovski pocket 8x20, and probably Nikon SE 8x32. Beautiful optics all of them, but not being put to any use.

Last edited:
Hi,

no acquisitions or sales planned - I have enough optics to play with right now.

I might get weak for a good used deal within driving distance for either a Canon IS 15x50 or some large angled astro bin...

Trips - certainly someplace warm in autumn - next stop skiing in the Alps.

Joachim

I'm going to start out 2018 by waiting for the new Swaro CL 8x30 to arrive in stores (all the outdoorsman stores here carry Swaro so I fully suspect I'll get to see this one soon). If I end out liking it, I'm likely going to buy it!

Will spend all of 2018 trying to find an 8x42 Noctovid and/or HT at local retail so I can look thru it. Will likely be saying the same thing come 2019 as none of our stores seem to carry these!! Ditto for the Leica 7x35 Trinovid.

The remainder will be surprises along the way that I couldn't pass up!!!

CG

Last edited:
No great plans for me.All i'm going to do is keep concentrating on the enjoyment of viewing the subject rarther than worrying about the technical apects.

No great plans for me.All i'm going to do is keep concentrating on the enjoyment of viewing the subject rarther than worrying about the technical apects.

I tried that. It didn't work for me;).
Meanwhile I'm looking for an 'old' Leica APO Televid 62/15-48ep. Not an easy find.

To buy: Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 & Vortex Razor HD 50 Scope or Nikon Fieldscope ED 50 or Opticron MM4 50.

To sell: Ultravid 8x32, Ultravid HD 8x42, Vortex Razor HD 10x42.

Dreaming of another porro from Nikon, an early spring, more photography, and a small scope as well as reading the many threads here. I am good with bins.

Andy W.

I went a bit loco at Bird Fair 2015 and acquired a Zeiss harness intending to use it with a Conquest HD 15x56. I have used it twice and it works OK but my reluctance to use it more is because I always carry a backpack with not only shoulder straps but also chest-strap and waist belt and on the latter have at least one and often two camera holsters. I feel trussed like a Christmas turkey without a harness underneath. Nevertheless I haven't give it a fair try so I plan to take it to Suffolk and give it some use. Your home-made one sounds an interesting variation and I thank you for the offer. If the Zeiss doesn't work out I will come knocking on your door. Many thanks for your kind thought. :t::king:
Lee

I bought a Rick Young harness a couple of years ago and use with my Zeiss 8x42Fl. I do wear the Rick Young harness with a back-pack and have had no difficulty. The RY harness is really counter-intuitive and more than one retailler has told me it won't work and tried to sell me a harness with wider straps But the RY one does work brilliantly. I am sure a harness could be made similar to the RY one for a fraction of the cost and would give that a try before parting with the $$ for a genuine specimen. Going knocking on Rotherbirder's door.

If I had an astronomic windfall, I’d get a pair of the Nikon 7x50 WX.

Otherwise my next optics purchase will probably be a microscope, or the rumored Fuji H1 camera.

Since when did I ever have a plan for another optic? :eek!: Something will grab hold soon enough. Probably a re review of the GPO 8x42 Passion ED.

I'll definitely check out the new Swaro 8x30 CL when they arrive. Seems like a great travel bino.

I notice a number of members considering a small scope. I can recommend that! I'm on the California coast right now, travelling with the Nikon ED50 with 27x wide and it sees a lot of use. Scope + cf travel tripod weigh in well under 2 kg and I'll be carrying it 10+ miles today. Easy. So far 4 fellow birders have had a look through it and all 4 sort of went "wow" and asked what kind of scope it was. Nobody expects a tiny scope to perform, but a good one certainly can.

So far, that's about it.

Since when did I ever have a plan for another optic? :eek!: Something will grab hold soon enough. Probably a re review of the GPO 8x42 Passion ED.

Has your overall impression of the GPO ED 8x42 changed for better or worse? I'm in the market for a light, compact 8x42. The Nikon Monarch HG sounds ideal, but the GPO is less than half the price...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back