• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Remove lens covers on 8x30 SLC WB? (1 Viewer)

medinfoto

Hello all, new to this forum but long time bird lover (mostly do photography but lately gotten into enjoying just watching them as well). I have a pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC WB Mark II, which I think are lovely to use; however I am not entirely fond of the lens covers that are attached to the front since they flop around and get in the way a bit.

Looks like they can be removed by stretching the rubber ring a bit, but is it OK to leave them off? I presume the waterproofing is not relying on a rubber ring there, but am not familiar with the construction. :) Would probably leave them off entirely or maybe put on a pair of flip-up covers (like Butler Creek).

cheers!

medinfoto, post 1,
I consider all objective lens covers as fairly useless, some are floppy, others are too tight etc. etc. and I never use them on any of the binoculars I use and have used. The best binoculars have hydrophobic coatings and some also have very hard protective coatings that do not have any optical effect, but they protect lens surfaces quite well. So I do not see the need for objective covers. And since all the years I have used binoculars walking in desert, mountains, in snowy and ice conditions not one of them had any damage of the objective lenses.
Gijs van Ginkel

medinfoto, post 1,
I consider all objective lens covers as fairly useless, some are floppy, others are too tight etc. etc. and I never use them on any of the binoculars I use and have used. The best binoculars have hydrophobic coatings and some also have very hard protective coatings that do not have any optical effect, but they protect lens surfaces quite well. So I do not see the need for objective covers. And since all the years I have used binoculars walking in desert, mountains, in snowy and ice conditions not one of them had any damage of the objective lenses.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi, and thanks for your comment. I feel the same way about photography lenses; the covers just end up being in the way and the constant taking off and putting on probably makes it more likely to accidentally damage the lens element somehow than normal day to day use.

I did go ahead and pull them off the binoculars (but saved them for if I ever sell them). I can't really imagine the rubber ring that they attach to the body with is important for the weather proofing, so let's hope I'm right. :)

Medinfoto,
I keep mine on as I have them on a tripod stand on my balcony. However, when I am out hiking infield, I will take them off. As you mentioned, it is too much trouble to be constantly taking them off and putting them on. I do however keep the occular rainguard on top to protect against debris and the likes.
Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back