• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars have the best build quality? (1 Viewer)

The Leica Trinovids BN and BA were actually the third series of Trinovids.
From the first series only very few were made. It is the second series (which started around 1963 and was only made until 1982 if I remember well) we are talking about here all the time, they are the ones that may come to live again as the new/old Trinovid-2 series.
Gijs van Ginkel

The Leica Trinovids BN and BA were actually the third series of Trinovids.
From the first series only very few were made. It is the second series (which started around 1963 and was only made until 1982 if I remember well) we are talking about here all the time, they are the ones that may come to live again as the new/old Trinovid-2 series.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

Are these from the first series?

https://www.allbinos.com/1634-Leitz_Trinovid_8x40-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Lee:

It is important to note that the original Trinovids were made by Leitz,
and it was then called Leica later, when the first Trinovid BA models
came out, with SP prisms.

Jerry

You are absolutely right Gerry and it is one of these Leitz Tinovid 8x40s that Troubadoris has treasured since the1970s.

Lee

Attachments

• 117217321.KJzsZDDn.jpg
    117217321.KJzsZDDn.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 56
...I never read somthing like "the old Trinis are heavy binos" it´s always "... they are build like a tank".

Since you seem interested in a more psychological perspective here, let me suggest one. People greatly enjoy the view through their BA/BNs for many years, so they don't want to sound like they're complaining about the weight ("it's so heavy"), and instead they say something more like a compliment. Or even: people have lugged around all that weight for years and they feel a need to justify it and not seem foolish, so they say enthusiastically "built like a tank!" And it probably never did fail them... just as lighter glasses of similar quality also wouldn't have.

I used a 10x32 BN for 16+ years and can't part with it, so we keep it as a spare. In that size I think a bit of extra weight even aids stability. I would never have used the 42 myself, it was such a brick, but many people did.

Actually I've always been a bit curious about the BA/BN design... the bridge shape looks very much like the original Trinovid, and surely adds some weight, and yet there's no longer an Uppendahl prism for it to accommodate. So this was just a matter of recognizable design?

Last edited:
Doesn't the Uppendahl prism take less room than an SP? I thought that was their big advantage in designing a smaller more compact binocular.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, Lee.

That is a great collection that Gary has! I see the Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA Green Armored (which I have) in it.

Bob

He has some great binos there and curates them with great care, wearing cotton gloves to handle them.

You may have noticed two porros with yellow 'arrow' or 'crow's feet' marks on them. These signify the binos were official military issue and an explanation of the mark and its history can be found here:
http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.co...ow_Including_Ministry_Of_Supply_Markings.html

Lee

Since you seem interested in a more psychological perspective here, let me suggest one. People greatly enjoy the view through their BA/BNs for many years, so they don't want to sound like they're complaining about the weight ("it's so heavy"), and instead they say something more like a compliment. Or even: people have lugged around all that weight for years and they feel a need to justify it and not seem foolish, so they say enthusiastically "built like a tank!" And it probably never did fail them... just as lighter glasses of similar quality also wouldn't have.

I used a 10x32 BN for 16+ years and can't part with it, so we keep it as a spare. In that size I think a bit of extra weight even aids stability. I would never have used the 42 myself, it was such a brick, but many people did.

Actually I've always been a bit curious about the BA/BN design... the bridge shape looks very much like the original Trinovid, and surely adds some weight, and yet there's no longer an Uppendahl prism for it to accommodate. So this was just a matter of recognizable design?

That makes sense and is the explanation i wanted to get :t:

Thank you!

Bob

Here is a photo from Gary Hawkin's collection (http://www.pbase.com/g_hawkins/binocular_pictures&page=all). Gary now runs his own binoculars repair workshop (http://binocular-repair.co.uk/) and has an amazing bino collection including the Mk I Leitz Trinovid shown below.

Lee

Lee:

Thanks for that update about Gary, he has been a great resource on
Bird forum. I have PM'd him with questions about certain Leica and Zeiss
models, and he is so good to offer up his expertise with a ser. # can tell
about model year changes.

I recall he has written a book some years ago, and I would like to know
more about that. I do like the older Leica and Zeiss models and like to
collect some of these important binoculars. The Leitz photo collection is
eye candy, at a high level..

Jerry

Last edited:
Lee:

Thanks for that update about Gary, he has been a great resource on
Bird forum. I have PM'd him with questions about certain Leica and Zeiss
models, and he is so good to offer up his expertise with a ser. # can tell
about model year changes.

I recall he has written a book some years ago, and I would like to know
more about that. I do like the older Leica and Zeiss models and like to
collect some of these important binoculars. The Leitz photo collection is
eye candy, at a high level..

Jerry

You are welcome Jerry.
Gary's book was a detailed history of the Leitz/Leica Trinovid but I have never managed to find one on the internet. I have recently tried a couple of searches for it and they were unsuccessful.
You may need to contact Gary directly at his new business.

Lee

Doesn't the Uppendahl prism take less room than an SP? I thought that was their big advantage in designing a smaller more compact binocular.

It takes less space lengthwise, because the prism sticks out sideways and must be accommodated within a thicker bridge assembly. Which is still there on the BA/BN, while the Uppendahl is not...?

The objective tubes do not appear to be an integral part of a Leitz/Leica binocular with Uppendahl prisms like they are on binoculars with SP prisms. It looks like they screw into the prism housing assembly.

Bob

The objective tubes do not appear to be an integral part of a Leitz/Leica binocular with Uppendahl prisms like they are on binoculars with SP prisms. It looks like they screw into the prism housing assembly.

Bob

Left prism is a original Trinovid BN Schmidt/Pechan and rights side is the original Uppendahl prism from a Trinovid "classic".

Jan

Attachments

• Prisma_House_of_Outdoor&Optics.JPG
    Prisma_House_of_Outdoor&Optics.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 128
Left prism is a original Trinovid BN Schmidt/Pechan and rights side is the original Uppendahl prism from a Trinovid "classic".

Jan

Nice picture Jan! Thanks for posting it.

I notice the threads on the bottom of the Uppendahl which I guess are for the objective tubes.

Bob

Nice picture Jan! Thanks for posting it.

I notice the threads on the bottom of the Uppendahl which I guess are for the objective tubes.

Bob

Ha, I had to look this up in Gary's Trinovid book.

According to his explosion drawing you are half right. The tubes are screwed on the outside of the prism housing and the prism is screwed on the inside of that housing in a seperate screwmount.

Jan

Ha, I had to look this up in Gary's Trinovid book.

According to his explosion drawing you are half right. The tubes are screwed on the outside of the prism housing and the prism is screwed on the inside of that housing in a seperate screwmount.

Jan

Jan:

Thanks for posting the photo. You mention Gary's book, I assume
that is Gary Hawkins Leica book, and I would like to obtain one, does anyone
know how ?

Lee has posted he has now gone out on his own with a repair shop, and
does anyone have contact information ?

Jerry

Jan:

Thanks for posting the photo. You mention Gary's book, I assume
that is Gary Hawkins Leica book, and I would like to obtain one, does anyone
know how ?

Lee has posted he has now gone out on his own with a repair shop, and
does anyone have contact information ?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I only have 1 copy of that book. In Lee's post he linked Gary's adress.
If this doesn't work out, PM me you mail adress, I'll scan it and send it to you by mail.

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back