• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does my 15x60 seem less sharp? (1 Viewer)

I saw about 20 high quality RTH aircraft lenses that had their front elements almost opaque. About one was somehow still poorly usable.

Zeiss 15x60.

Just after midnight this morning I looked at Sirius.
It was at about 18 degree elevation above a heated rooftop.
Hand held, Sirius was dancing around madly in a rainbow of psychedelic colours.
I was tired so hand holding was worse than usual.
The only thing I could glean was that the binocular is very well aligned and has no astigmatism.

04.57 UT this morning.
Binocular braced but hand held.
Jupiter about 15 deg elevation.
Unfortunately involved in branches of the old oak tree.
The disc looked soft. I think because of spherical aberration.
There was a small amount of false colour around the limb.
Equatorial diameter 35.7 arcseconds.

The observation is not very reliable because of tree branches.
Jupiter barely gets above 20 deg elevation even when south here.

I was surprised to see only Callisto far to the left and no other moons.
If I had used the Canon 18x50 IS it is likely I would have seen the moon Io close to Jupiter's limb.

08.27 UT wind 190 deg 1 kn 9km mist cloud scattered 3,800ft broken 30,000ft minus 2C TDP minus 2C 1030.5 hPA

Last edited:
Fleurviola: Perhaps disassembly and cleaning of all optics would improve the image.
WJC: It is disheartening that it has taken 19 posts to get to the culprit.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that the culprit in this case was already identified some posts ago? It was me. (Thanks Hermann, Lee, Henry) This binocular has not been to Afghanistan.

[Edit] This is still a very fine 15x60. I must just have been having a bad day on Sunday somehow, and atmospheric conditions may have contributed to some extent. Today I'm having no trouble focusing, and am back to the experience I recall, a beautiful view with a little jitter unless I stabilize it somehow. Which is good, because that's what this bino is meant for... and I'm not over the hill quite yet.

Last edited:
Another thread diversion, thread spread, what should we nick name it, you know when the topic goes................off. I apologize for contributing to the spread Tenex.

A.W.

The old Oberkochen porros can suffer from hazing of their optical surfaces, apparently due to outgassing. I've seen this in both of those I've handled and other users such as Tobias have commented on it. 15x magnification = 15x more hand shake - something you would need to take into account in assessing its optical performance - but it might not be a bad idea to have your pair professionally cleaned in any case. If it's build quality you are after those old Zeiss Wests definitely have it.

Fleurviola: Perhaps disassembly and cleaning of all optics would improve the image.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that the culprit in this case was already identified some posts ago? It was me. (Thanks Hermann, Lee, Henry) This binocular has not been to Afghanistan.

Hi, Tenex:

I certainly didn't intentionally miss something you said. However, in going back through the thread from the beginning, I see you have talked about resolution, aberrations, jitters, and other things but have failed to see where you talked about microscopic particulates being deposited on optical surfaces as being a "culprit" in robbing the image of its "crispness." Could you share the number of that post with me that I might apologize, again? :cat:

Thanks,

Bill

PS Patudo, I think you will find the problem relates more to those microscopic particulates than outgassing. Not all adhesives cause outgassing problems and I would hope professionals would know which ones to avoid.

Last edited:

[Edit] This is still a very fine 15x60. I must just have been having a bad day on Sunday somehow, and atmospheric conditions may have contributed to some extent. Today I'm having no trouble focusing, and am back to the experience I recall, a beautiful view with a little jitter unless I stabilize it somehow. Which is good, because that's what this bino is meant for... and I'm not over the hill quite yet.

Glad you feel you have got a handle on what was causing your suspicions of 'unsharpness' now. And for goodness sake don't use the shaking of a 15x60 as a measure of how far up the hill or over it you are. That is a big bino and a monster magnification to hold steady at any age.

Lee

Hi, Tenex:
I see you have talked about resolution, aberrations, jitters, and other things but have failed to see where you talked about microscopic particulates being deposited on optical surfaces as being a "culprit" i

Bill
QUOTE]

Bill

I think you missed 3 critical words, now reproduced in bold:
'Perhaps you haven't noticed that the culprit in this case was already identified some posts ago? It was me'.

Lee

Hi, Tenex:
I see you have talked about resolution, aberrations, jitters, and other things but have failed to see where you talked about microscopic particulates being deposited on optical surfaces as being a "culprit" i

Bill
QUOTE]

Bill

I think you missed 3 critical words, now reproduced in bold:
'Perhaps you haven't noticed that the culprit in this case was already identified some posts ago? It was me'.

Lee

Hi, Lee—as opposed to Hi-Low:

That makes total sense.

Thanks,

Bill

Try holding the star Sirius dead centre with a 15x60, or for that matter any hand held unbraced binocular.

I doubt that anybody can hold a binocular totally steady for one minute, even an Olympic marksman.
Perhaps a few seconds at best.

Try holding the star Sirius dead centre with a 15x60, or for that matter any hand held unbraced binocular.
I doubt that anybody can hold a binocular totally steady for one minute, even an Olympic marksman.
Perhaps a few seconds at best.

I agree. I've used 10x regularly for decades, but if I look closely I can see a little jitter I usually manage to ignore. I think about this every time I hear someone say "you can handhold 7/8x at best, not 10"... or whatever. Any bino of useful magnification will have some unsteadiness in handlheld viewing for any length of time. It's just a question of how much is tolerable for a given purpose.

By the way, I often wonder which factor accounts for more individual variation in answering that question: physical steadiness of the arms, or the brain's ability to compensate for an unsteady image? (And lately, which declines more with age...!)

I agree with you that higher magnification and atmospheric disturbances can make a binocular seem less sharp especially handheld. But I still think the increase in contrast provided by modern coatings increases the apparent sharpness. I think that is what Tenex is observing. I had several generations of the Nikon 8x32 SE and the models with the more updated coatings appeared sharper to my eyes. I have had older porro's and they are sharp but they don't appear as sharp as modern binoculars because their contrast isn't as good. Sharpness is edge contrast. From Tobias's excellent review.

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/articles/mtf/mtfmysteries.html

That's a really interesting link denco, and there's also plenty of evidence (see the comments in the 8.5x42 thread) that indicates that coatings have slowly but steadily improved. In using my 8x30 Oberkochen (single-coated) I've found its resolution is excellent at relatively short distances, 150m or so - city birding gives you lots of opportunities to look at lettering of different sizes on advertising boards and so on at varying distances - but seems to fall off the further away my targets get, even accounting for distance. I'm not sure whether this is due to less advanced coatings, the binocular's optical design or simply the city smog in London, although I've used it in on both good and poor visibility days. Leaving aside the other perfectly valid reasons why image quality of a hand held 15x could be degraded, I do think modern T* coatings on the 15x60 (by all accounts a very impressive glass, which I'd certainly like to look through) would likely result in a noticeably better image yet.

I can't use a 15x hand held unsupported for long - if using hand-held I would recommend propping your elbows on a wall, fence or similar, or sitting down and bracing your elbows on your knees. It makes a huge difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back