• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wide field 7x28 (1 Viewer)

looksharp65

Sweden
One of my ***y bargains is an old Mamiya roof 7x28, 155 m FOV.
It's something very special about holding it. When it was new to me, I wrote another thread about it.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=278265

This thread is not about the Mamiya, but inspired by it.
The 7x28 format is quite ideal. Smallish objectives but enough exit pupil for most all-day birding.
With binoculars like the Kite Lynx ED and Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 with their huge FsOV, a 6x30/6x32 with narrower real FOV appears less tempting.

A 7x28/7x30 with a similar FOV as the Kite gives a moderately wide AFOV around 62 degrees and a good depth of field.
With state-of-the-art coatings, field flatteners and an eye relief of maybe around 17 mm, it could be a killer model (at least if the focuser goes clockwise towards infinity ;) ).

If it could be made with the same AFOV as the Kite, the true FOV would be 172 m/1000 m :eek!: - but I'd rather trade that in for some more eye relief.

I'm thinking, would this be possible or will it forever be an impossible dream?

//L

Last edited:
Lars,
Anything really useful in binoculars nowadays does not seem to get made by the manufacturers.

There was a small Olympus 7x binocular with a 10 degree field so far as I remember.
I should have bought one before they were discontinued.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back