• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In need of aid, deciding on a spotting scope. (1 Viewer)

AG-FI

Hello peoples! I have been pondering on getting a spotting scope to complement my 10x42 Vortex Diamondback binoculars for quite some time now.

Like with many investments this also needs some rather deep pondering. For one, I exclusively travel with an MTB, up to 100 KM's a day so the scope needs to be rather compact so it can fit for example, a 25 litre daypack.

Here are some scopes I have been looking into:

https://www.vanguardworld.us/photo_video_us/endeavor-hd-65a.html

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-20-60x60-angled-spotting-scope

http://www.kowaproducts.com/Kowa-TSN-500-spotting-scope/Kowa-TSN-501-compact-spotting-scope/

The Kowa is by far the most compact of the bunch, but is it sacrificing too much on the optical side for the portability? And does it even compare to the latter two?

And also there is some confusion regarding the tripod, I have been looking into Manfrotto tripods, like the 290 - series, but haven't really found anything solid and portable enough. Like < 55cm in transport height, so here advices are also very welcome! I live in Finland so it would have to be able to take some wind at least.

My budget for the scope and tripod will be around 700€

Thanks you in advance! o:)

Tervetuloa,

There are better experts on spotting scopes here than me as I am more into astro scopes.
So I'll leave it to them.

But is an MTB a motor torpedo boat with three Merlin engines that does 45 knots?

Terveiset.

Last edited:
I have a 60 mm Nikon Monarch Fieldscope ED as well as a 50 mm Nikon Fieldscope ED. The 60 mm scope is a little better optically but much bulkier and heavier.

The 60 mm scope has a 20 to 60 X eyepiece while the 50 mm scope has a smaller 13 to 30 X eyepiece.

So my comments are;
If I'm going out locally and transport isn't an issue, I take the 60 mm scope.
If I'm going on a long hike or a foreign trip, I take the 50 mm scope.

Last year we went to NZ and Australia for a month and just carried the smaller scope. There were only two occassions when this scope wasn't quite up to the task, both being distant views where we couldn't get confident ID's. For me, this trip just reinforced our decision to travel lighter. The scope will literally fit in a large pocket!

I also changed to a smaller travel tripod. This is a MEFOTO Globetrotter. This closes down to 16.5 inches and easily fits in our carryon luggage. While I have been using this with a Manfrotto fluid head 128 RC, the 50 mm scope is small and light enough to use with the ball head that comes with the tripod and next trip that's what I'm planning on doing.

Hope this helps and good luck

Thank you for the responses! And Binastro, :D Great stuff!

I have been looking into the Nikon ED50, but those are rather hard to come by where I live. Where as the similar sized Kowa TSN-501 present in plenty of shops around Finland, not so close that I could just spontaneously go test it though.

I've tried to look up some comparisons regarding those two as they are similar in size and optics but was unable to find any, this is surely because of the age difference. But The ED50 seems to get alot of praises as a compact travel scope, despite its age. TSN-501 is rather new so it's hard to find any decent in-depth reviews.

I guess my main concern is starting to shape as such, that will I be disappointed in the optical quality and performance of the TSN-501. It just seems such a handy piece of equipment to be carrying around, but is there anything more to it than just the size. Though it's a Kowa afterall, but will the 40x be blurry beyond recognition? And there is only a 100€ difference in price compared to the Vortex and Vanguard scopes.

And I move quite alot, I mean I can stay in one place for an hour or two, but there are occasions when I'm constantly on the move just watching a spot for fifteen minutes or so and carry on.

Pffff.. :D

Hi,

not really a formal review, but I was able to have a look or two through a Kowa 501 at a telescope convention. In comparison to the Celestron Hummingbird beside it, the Kowa did well. I would have considered to get it but I have an old 50mm Kowa (TS-9) and usually take my 77mm Kowa anyways.

Since the non-removable zoom EP on the Kowa only goes to 40x, there is no danger of blurry images beyond 45x ;-)
40x was quite usable in the example I tried.

If I were still biking long distance (this is long ago for me - nowadays usually only 5km to work and 5 back plus the odd trip in the city), I would certainly try to minimize size and weight, especially so if I had to transport it in a backpack while sitting on a mountainbike.
So for that, the Kowa (or ED50) plus a really light carbon tripod would be good.

Or you get a larger scope and heavier tripod, carry it in a scopac and try to fit some bag to your MTB - which might be tricky.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back