• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Goldeneye males displaying from earlier in the week. Quite impossible to see the quick "head toss, and was somewhat confused by the shapes. ended up taking some photos to try and work out what was going on at home...

Also a Great Spotted Pecker from the Crested Tit outing. Peering around a tree trunk at me...

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 58
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 53
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 60
  • GSP.jpg
    GSP.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 48
Oh Wow - brilliant work. The goldeneye head movement is tricky - here's where the use of photos contributes to the fieldwork. Bet you don't need them next time!

tricky little buggers crested tits - how you manage to just draw all the parts in the right places is beyond me - top class stuff (as usual)

Great job on the goldeneye display - fun to watch and tricky to draw (I would imagine - haven't tried it yet!). Also the tits are great - a species that would be fun to have around our area. As others have mentioned, the economy of your marks is amazingly efficient at conveying info.

Once again, truly top drawer stuff.
What an honour it is to contribute to the art forum with the quality of work on show such as this. I'd like to think my inferior stuff all adds to a wonderfully inspiring blend. I'm itching to get sketching after looking at these!

Russ

Mapping Pens

Ordered Mapping Pens from Mancheseter a couple of weeks ago ,which duly got lost in the post, then arrived out of the blue on Friday. Weather not good today so decided to play around with the new pens and nibs, went through some sketchbooks and decided to try the Smews first. Black Indian ink with a little RedBrown ink on the head. Also a Marsh Harrier in Flight...
Like the fluid lines these dipping pens give, was trained in their use many years ago, strange to use them again after so long. Noticed my hands are not as steady as they used to be...

These seem to be asking for a liitle colour wash..

Attachments

• smew.jpg
    smew.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Smew Detail.jpg
    Smew Detail.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Mh.jpg
    Mh.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 58
Went off to get the watercolours out to find them not in there usual spot, searched and realized I dropped them or left them behind outdoors at some stage a few months ago, "Oh ¤*@***#s!" I said...

Any how, started on this one which turned out well, though it was a lot better until I tried a wash on the head and the ink ran. Of course it it. It's water soluble indian ink...
Managed to rescue it nevertheless and added some washed out ink to the water at the end.

Terrible photo, my apologies, but you get the idea...

Attachments

• BTD.jpg
    BTD.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 69
  • BTD Detail.jpg
    BTD Detail.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 67
Another black and white completed today, a Nuthatch in song, taken directly from a fieldsketch done last April...(14"x11")
Used a little water on the brush at the end to bleed the ink to give more form to the branches...

Enjoying using the mapping pens again, not done so in many years, attached is a photo of the two holder and some nibs....

...also took a better photo of yesterdays Black Throated Diver which shows more detail. This one is 12"x 9", also with a little brushwork added at the end...

Attachments

• Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Mapping Pens.jpg
    Mapping Pens.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Black Throat.jpg
    Black Throat.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Another black and white completed today, a Nuthatch in song, taken directly from a fieldsketch done last April...(14"x11")
Used a little water on the brush at the end to bleed the ink to give more form to the branches...

that's a super lattice of branches, with bird aligned

Great work on these, Alan! I liked the well-hidden Nuthatch that popped out with a closer look. Also the loon, and the harrier came out really well.

Superb band w's, Alan. The BTD was surely created for such treatment, and you've certainly done an honourable job this superb beastie would be proud of!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back