• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

May Sketchathon, Landsort

Great week had birding. Will post sketches here and will post a more thorough account of the weeks birding at a later stage on my blog for those who are interested. First evening was fairly quiet, so spent it relaxing whilst sketching Wheatear.

Attachments

• aamswheatearbw1.jpg
    aamswheatearbw1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 88
  • aamswheatearbw2.jpg
    aamswheatearbw2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 85
  • aamswheat1.jpg
    aamswheat1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 85
Long Eared Owl

The star of the show on day 2. Came in off the sea and sat beside me exhausted for 20 minutes.

Attachments

• aamslongear.jpg
    aamslongear.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 98
  • alongear1.jpg
    alongear1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 110
Whinchats were a feature of the week, sketches here from both Landsort and Möya. The colour sketch does not show the white primary covert's as i was suposed to add it later when the paint dried, will get around to it eventually!

Attachments

• aawhinmaleink.jpg
    aawhinmaleink.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 113
  • aamswhincolour.jpg
    aamswhincolour.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 106
  • aamsfemwhin1.jpg
    aamsfemwhin1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 00msfemwhin2.jpg
    00msfemwhin2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 86
Seawatching produced 9 Arctic Skua, a favourite bird of mine, just love them. They have it all for me...

Attachments

• aamsarcticsk1.jpg
    aamsarcticsk1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 86
  • aamsarcticsk2.jpg
    aamsarcticsk2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 93
  • aamsastern.jpg
    aamsastern.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 92
Yellowhamer....Rare now in Ireland but common here, everywhere in fact. Shame we lost them at home, nice birds....

Attachments

• aamsyellowhammer.jpg
    aamsyellowhammer.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 98
Hobby. Once described to me as "******* supersonic flying machine"

Always stuck with me!

Attachments

• aahobbygroup.jpg
    aahobbygroup.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 86
  • aamshobby1.jpg
    aamshobby1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 76
  • aamshobby2.jpg
    aamshobby2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 104
Redstart

Bit heavy handed here with the colour, started out as a field sketch and ended up looking like a greeting card!

Attachments

• aamsredstartcolour.jpg
    aamsredstartcolour.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 99
Very productive indeed, all great, but my absolute favourites are the whinchats, stunningly accurate in character.

My first White-Billed Diver was a highlight

Singing Willow Warbler thumbnail...

Can never resist Black-throated Diver.

Attachments

• aamswbdiver.jpg
    aamswbdiver.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 98
  • aamswilloww.jpg
    aamswilloww.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 88
  • aamsbtd1.jpg
    aamsbtd1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 106
  • aamsbtd2.jpg
    aamsbtd2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 85
Eider. hours spent sketching thes. Started to fill these in with ink and then decided the line drawings had a peculiar beauty as they were. Such a great bird to draw...

Attachments

• aamseidergroup.jpg
    aamseidergroup.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 100
  • aamseider1.jpg
    aamseider1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 85
  • aamseider2.jpg
    aamseider2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 75
  • aamseider3.jpg
    aamseider3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 76
  • aamseider4.jpg
    aamseider4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 81
Redwing from Möya. Great to see these singing in breeding habitat.

Finally my apoligies to Nick Derry... This Wryneck sat in front of me for 15 minutes sun bathing and was completely oblivious to my presence. All i could think about while sketching it was how much you have searched for one of these!

Hope you enjoy these sketches....

Attachments

• aamsredwing.jpg
    aamsredwing.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 107
  • aamswryneck.jpg
    aamswryneck.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 140
Well, I was going to say nice things until I saw that wryneck! I'm just going to pretend it's a female red-backed shrike with a funny bill. More stunning work, love the black-throated divers, have only ever seen one, in winter plumage and would kill to see them like that. Love the willow warbler, is that a rubber you've used to do the background? I used to do that a lot, then forgot to do it, must remember to start doing it again. Those eiders are very special, I'm glad you resisted temptation to fill them in, they show great economic use of strong line. Redwing, simply stunning (must find another synonym), and the wryneck, grrrrrr!

They're all terrific and those eiders are fabulous just as they are. Sounds like you had a great week and I'm looking forward to seeing the full story.

Woody

Love the willow warbler, is that a rubber you've used to do the background? I used to do that a lot, then forgot to do it, must remember to start doing it again.

Often use the eraser in this way, saves a lot of time. Great for highlights on water too...

and the wryneck, grrrrrr!

...it was just there!!

Hi all, blog is now up to date, took a while, but there is a more thorough account of my week there along with photos and a nice videograb too.

I've been back to these drawings about 5 times now. Firstly I couldn't make a comment because I was just too intent on looking - you manage to bring the actual experience of 'bird watching' to me, the viewer. Bravo!
But with regard to the drawings, - the whinchat field studies and sketches, as Nick points out, are what the artist's sketchbook should be about (were we as gifted as the one in question!) - and the skuas are spot-on (favs of mine too). Your colour studies beautifully span the divide between 'field work' and finished work' and the eider line drawings are sublime. - as for the wryneck . . . can't comment - never seen one . . . . but it convinces me of your experience, which is almost as good, as far as I'm concerned.
A short time in your life spent doing a good thing - resulting in a group of investigative and expressive artwork. An absolute delight! (thanks!)

Thanks for the kind remarks all, glad the sketches seem to have been enjoyed for what they are. Will be doing some watercolurs in the coming weeks based on these sketches.
...thoughts are currently returning to Black Throated Diver after seing 5 birds together this morning, wonderful site, thinking of a large piece for this group portrait. Also keen on Slavonian Grebe which I am going for in the morning and another canvas in mind of Common gull pair on rocks. Will post the progress eventually!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back