• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (6 Viewers)

Considering the timing and the length of stay of the Cornish Great Spotted Cuckoo it might be a good idea to check the local emerging broods of both Carrion Crow and Black-billed Magpie, it's true that they usually breed as a pair and only a single bird was seen (as far as we know) but it only needs a fertilized female. The Cornish bird appeared to be in good health and finding lots of large caterpillars, occasionally the Cuckoo will parasitize the nests of Carrion Crow if a Black-billed Magpie is not available at the right laying period. (now that would be Bird News).

Snowy Owl at St Gothian Sands NR this morning and pair of Kentish Plovers on the Estuary at Hayle. Photos of both on Cornwall Birding.

Redstart,Tree Pipit & a couple of groppers between Kynance & Windmill Farm on the Lizard today. Good numbers of common migrant (mipits & hirundines mostly) moving in ahead of the thunderstorm too

St Ives bay... widespread fish shoals attracted Gannets, Kittiwakes, Shag, Cormorant, Sandwich terns and a lone Great northern diver.
Two yellow legged Herring gulls still at the West pier.

Just read Birdguides review of last week and was surprised to learn of a Golden Eagle seen over Stithian's on the 19th. No mention here. What's it all about?

Thanks Cuckoo-shrike, (are you Simon Taylor?). I do read Simon's blog from time to time and am very impressed with the work he is doing at Stithian's, it's one of my favourite venues. The bird feeders certainly do their job in the southern cut-off hide, always worth popping in.

But why no mention here? It is a fantastic bird and I would have thought someone would have mentioned it in this thread, even though it was presumably just passing through.

By the way, if John Swann is here, thanks for the text about the Alpine Swift John. I was unable to get there but appreciate the contact.

I see Con or Birder? of Cornwall Birding has come up with yet another bird that is new to science, with a "Temmink's Stint" at Walmsley Sanctuary.

I see Con or Birder? of Cornwall Birding has come up with yet another bird that is new to science, with a "Temmink's Stint" at Walmsley Sanctuary.

Someone else pointed out that typo error Dave, but thankyou for pointing it out. Nice to see you're still using the website.

Gothian Sands NR was quiet this morning. A few Wheatears and Whimbrel around but little else.

Someone else pointed out that typo error Dave, but thankyou for pointing it out. Nice to see you're still using the website.

Shame you seem to need others to point out your sloppiness. Is it just that you can't spell or can you just not be bothered with accuracy?
Don't delude yourself that I use your site, it’s normally way too out of date to be of any use. I merely look at it every now and again to amuse myself with your incompetence and I'm rarely disappointed.;)

Shame you seem to need others to point out your sloppiness. Is it just that you can't spell or can you just not be bothered with accuracy?
Don't delude yourself that I use your site, it’s normally way too out of date to be of any use. I merely look at it every now and again to amuse myself with your incompetence and I'm rarely disappointed.;)

Well thanks for looking at it anyway, a hits a hit. And its good to see you using the Cornwall Birding thread that i started on a regular basis too. :t:

College Res - 05/05/2009
1 probable Red-throated Diver (flew over and towards Sithtians), 1 Garden Warbler (singing from gorse near road bridge), 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 40+ Swallows and 4 Swifts.

Cheers. Henerz.

curlews in crantock

Hi Folks,

I went to visit Crantock today ( just outside Newquay) primarily to take some swallow shots and whatever else was around. Standing on the edge of a field looking down to the beach i noted some rabbits in the field and then crows feasting on whetever the farmer had planted. Next in the same field and feasting heartily were four curlews sweeping the ground at quite a rapid rate. They stayed about 10mins and just flew...

How common is this for waders to be feeding in a field?

cheers

fivepints

Hi Folks,

I went to visit Crantock today ( just outside Newquay) primarily to take some swallow shots and whatever else was around. Standing on the edge of a field looking down to the beach i noted some rabbits in the field and then crows feasting on whetever the farmer had planted. Next in the same field and feasting heartily were four curlews sweeping the ground at quite a rapid rate. They stayed about 10mins and just flew...

How common is this for waders to be feeding in a field?

cheers

fivepints

The Hayle Estuary Curlews are more up market and are to be found on the golf course at St Erth.

Just a little bit of an influx .... ;) Must have been nice for the observers.

There's always been continental birds arriving in the rest of the uk, how does this fit in with the general pattern of vagrancy? (ie coastal or before they were introduced into the rest of the uk?)

I must be wrong, but I thought they were an early migrant on the continent?

A sign of better things. But it was seen yesterday evening Ash.

1 Spotted Flycatcher at Church Cove Lizard today. Cuckoos everywhere on the Lizard and plenty of interesting warblers around Windmill Farm and Hayle Kimbro pool.
Thanks. Henry.

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back