• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon re-introduced the Premier binoculars at the SHOT Show 2009 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

http://libertyoptics.blogspot.com/2009/01/shot-show-report-day-3-good-stuff.html

Nikon also re-introduced the Premier series of binos..which they seemed quite proud of...but when Ilya looked through them and wondered about some optical deficiences which weren't apparent in the "old" Premier binos...Jon LaCorte from Nikon claimed the binos were "only a prototype"

Ah, the old "only a prototype" ploy ... that must be in their playbook ;)

Of course almost zero info about these new bins on the net. The Nikon Premier included the LX L and the SE i.e. their previous top bins but now there is the EDG at the top so is this a new tier of products?

Is it anything new or the LX L with new coatings?

Will the old LX L's be on sale at EOL soon?

I am confused here Kevin. Are they reintroducing the same models as previously but at a lower price point or are these all new models just using the "Premier" designation?

Me too.

I don't know ... and there doesn't seem to be any info out there describing what the "reintroduction" mean either.

"Here are are old models. No longer top of the line." doesn't sound like it would cut it ;)

So I presume either there are some minor changes (coatings?) or perhaps price changes.

Omid was at the SHOT show so I asked him on his SHOT Show thread. He certainly looked at the Nikons but hasn't mentioned the Premier bins yet.

The question then is, were they even displayed at the shot show or was this something posted after?

I have to admit I have a big soft spot for the original Nikon Venturer (premier LX). It was my first premium bin and I still have exceptionally fond memories of locating most of my life list birds with it. I think I might be more excited about their reintroduction over anything else Nikon related I have heard thus far.

Oh shhhh....nikeeesss. I did not even think of that.

Waterproof SE with conventional eyecups?

An 8x42 version?

I will sell ever bin I own!

;)

Oh shhhh....nikeeesss. I did not even think of that.

Waterproof SE with conventional eyecups?

An 8x42 version?

I will sell ever bin I own!

;)

Frank,
I think they will have to change the "universal" eyepiece of the current SE's to come out with an 8 x 42 SE.
Bob

Koshkin says

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14733&PN=2

Koshkin said:
Premier LX-L binoculars have been resurrected as binocular line one step below the EDGs. The sample they had on hand was not great: CA, but they assured me it is not a production piece. One step below the Premier binoculars there is a new line of Monarch-X binoculars that I found thoroughly underwhelming.

Not too sure they know what they're up to but they must be changing something.
Interesting commentary on the show.

What's happening is that they are simply keeping the Premier LXL models in the market. I don't think they are changing anything in the design. I am not convinced that the EDG's are superior to the LX series so I can't call these a "lower tier" and think of the EDGs the "higher tier". I still don't know why they are doing this...

There is evidently some glitch with the EDG, otherwise they would not still be largely a figment of imagination and some would be available. No matter how good they might be they (nor none of the other alphas for that matter) are anywhere near worth the price charged for them. Not to say they are not superb instruments, they are. Just way too expensive for too many people. Maybe it occurred to Nikon that the best way to get through the economic situation is to keep the Premier, a very good glass far closer to being worth its cost, and see if they can sell some binoculars.

FWIW, I have had an extended audition with the 7x42 EDG and it is definitely not just the LXL in a different package. While it likely adheres to the same basic optical formula, it is substantially brighter (maybe two "notches" worth), and the control of chromatic aberration, the bane of the LXL for many people, is impressive. They give a vibrant, pure, easy view, and the mechanical package overall is state of the art. Whether they are worth what Nikon wants to sell them for is another question, of course, but as far as I'm concerned there's no question that the EDGs belong in the top rank of binoculars.

I don't think anyone will question that issue. I think the issue arises with the fact that one of the key selling points to the high end Nikon lines (at least in the last half decade) is that they provide true top end performance at several hundred dollars less than Zeiss, Leica or Swaro. I have owned several high end Nikon bins and they were most certainly in the same league as the pre-HD/FL/ED versions of the other Alphas.

I guess the question then would become...was Nikon better served to have just kept the Premier line of bins and just add ED glass to them rather than engineering an entirely new bin and then pricing it in the stratosphere.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back