• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bloody annoying Birdfair-tv adverts... (1 Viewer)

Jacana

Will Jones
Spain
Has anyone else come across these adverts on different websites, they appear to be particularly prevalent on Birdlife's website and even pop up on here sometimes. They play loops of different videos which is fine, but as soon as you scroll your mouse over them they start playing sound which is incredibly annoying and seemingly impossible to turn off without muting the speakers or refreshing the page. Very frustrating when you do it by accident!

Has anyone worked out another way to turn them off?

I use NoScript for Firefox. This means that websites cannot run anything such as Javascript or Flash unless I specifically permit it. This may sound tedious, but for webpages you visit frequently, you can just allow them to do whatever and you're then done. It's also possible to issue temporary permissions (when a website refuses to supply a function otherwise, but I don't want to usually allow it to do as it pleases) which last until a restart or possibly shorter.

Often adverts come from a different server, so it's possible to give permission to the main site, but not allow the server the ad lives on, so you don't have to see that.

This may be overkill for what you're trying to achieve, but personally I can't see why I should allow anybody to run code on my machine unless I really do trust them.

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back