• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worth upgrading PS6 to PS CS2? (1 Viewer)

Leif

Is it worth upgrading from Photoshop 6 to Photoshop CS2? I now use a D70 but I have the Nikon View so do not need the RAW file conversion and noise removal functions though it might be convenient.

Leif

I've been trying out CS2 for a few days but it does seem a bit slow on my machine (p4 3ghz Igb RAM) vs CS, the noise reduction feature didn't really do anything spectacular that my Neatimage plug-in couldn't do, control of sharpening is better though.
If it moved at a good fast pace, I'd keep on using CS2 but I've reverted back to CS.

I think you'd benefit from an upgrade, but CS may be a better bet if you can lay your hands on it and you don't have tons of RAM and a fast cpu.

cheers,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
I've been trying out CS2 for a few days but it does seem a bit slow on my machine (p4 3ghz Igb RAM) vs CS, the noise reduction feature didn't really do anything spectacular that my Neatimage plug-in couldn't do, control of sharpening is better though.
If it moved at a good fast pace, I'd keep on using CS2 but I've reverted back to CS.

I think you'd benefit from an upgrade, but CS may be a better bet if you can lay your hands on it and you don't have tons of RAM and a fast cpu.

cheers,
Andy

Thanks Andy. My system sounds the same as yours. Leif

I went from PS6 to CS2 and there are several enhancements that I like, e.g.
Smart Sharpen
Photo filter
Shadows/Highlights
Exposure
Raw Converter

Most of these you could probably achieve in a roundabout way with PS6 but CS2 sure makes it easier.

Cheers

Roy C

I have not used CS2 but it is worth moving from PS6 to CS.
So many more features aimed at the photographer.

I still use neatimage as a stand alone program. I think you can buy a neatimage plugin for PS.

Robert

I just love using PS7CS

Leif said:
Is it worth upgrading from Photoshop 6 to Photoshop CS2? I now use a D70 but I have the Nikon View so do not need the RAW file conversion and noise removal functions though it might be convenient.

Leif

I just love using PS7CS

If you want the most out of your D70...

the consensus seems to be that the Nikon RAW converter is not the best out there... I've just started using C1 pro and CS2(had PS7 before), and IMO they seem superior from my initial tests, using C1 pro as the raw converter and then importing directly to CS2 for final editing/touching up. I have not tried using CS2 for RAW conversion on its own yet though, but from what I have read the latest version of ARC is up to scratch also.

http://www.normankoren.com/digital_tonality.html

I've been using CS for about 6 months now and the Colour Space and Printer Profile management after Nikon Capture was a new world for me. I started to get prints that looked real!

I contemplated CS2 for D2X support but Nikon provide a plug-in RAW converter along with Nikon view 6.2.5 (free!) so I don't intend to move to CS2 for now.

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. The only problem is that Nikon View 6.2.5 is a bit slower on my PC than earlier versions, any suggestions for speeding it up or an alternative Free of Charge RAW slideshow package?

checklg said:
p.s. The only problem is that Nikon View 6.2.5 is a bit slower on my PC than earlier versions, any suggestions for speeding it up or an alternative Free of Charge RAW slideshow package?

Try Rawshooter essentials, freedownload too!
As for CS2, didn't initially like it that much, but was only moving from CS to CS2 and as Andy was saying seemed a little slow. But had to rebuild my system recently so decided to go straight to CS2 and it is so much faster running as a fresh install. Also as I use a colour managed workflow, like the fact that I no longer need to keep converting to the relevant printer/paper/ink profile then back to Adobe RGB each time I want to print.
I also agree that the RAW functions are better than in CS though still prefer C1pro v3.6 as my main tool of choice for conversion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back