• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Epsom or Canon Scanner, advice please (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

Yo all,

Finally going to purchase a scanner and had made my mind up on a Canoscan 8400F, excellent reviews for scanning trannies. Pixmania seem to have best deal at £124.00. On same site they are selling the Epsom Perfection 4180 Photo for £140.58 which has left me uncertain? Epsom has slightly better resolution, so thought I'd put it to all you guys for comment.

Stewart

:h?: :h?:

Stewart J. said:
Yo all,

Finally going to purchase a scanner and had made my mind up on a Canoscan 8400F, excellent reviews for scanning trannies. Pixmania seem to have best deal at £124.00. On same site they are selling the Epsom Perfection 4180 Photo for £140.58 which has left me uncertain? Epsom has slightly better resolution, so thought I'd put it to all you guys for comment.

Stewart

:h?: :h?:

Try www.photo-i.co.uk for reviews. Leif

Personally I would go for the Epson. Two reasons, firstly I've got one, (Biased I know!) Secondly a friend has a canon and we have recently been using a colour management system which requires that you turn off any colour management in the scanner dialog, we cant seem to find a way to do this with the canon, nor how to use a created profile for it. This was such a pain my friend went out and bought a top of the range Epson (4990) A4 scanner.

I also recommend Epson. I've always had good luck with them. I have never had a Canon, but I do want to warn you about HP scanners - don't buy one! (IMHO). One aspect of scanners no one ever talks about is the driver software that makes them work. Epson driver software is very good. We have a HP scanner where I work. The hardware is very nice, but the driver software is TERRIBLE. And if you're thinking, "Well, I have PhotoShop, so it won't matter," this is incorrect. The driver software is your interface to the hardware and can make a huge difference. So, at least there, I can vouch for Epson as being very good (and the hardware is excellent too, of course).

I can't vouch for Epson scanners as I have never used one. But my Epson printer always caused grief until I changed it for a Canon printer eighteen months ago which has not caused any problems so far. Because of this I also subsequently bought a Canon scanner and have not had any problems with that either.

I've got an Epson 2450 photo, I can heartily recomend them, also used them at college when I did a photography degree - so if they use them thats another recomendation.
The Epson 'smart panel' is a doddle to use as well.

Thanks for the advice all, leaning toward Epsom. Sorry couldn't reply sooner just back this evening from a birding hol in Bulgaria.

Stewart

I am thinking of buying an epsom stylus photo R300, not because I want to print photos but simply becasue I want to be able to print A2 size from my computer because I want to print my family tree which is too large for A4. Does anyone know if I can print from "Family Tree Maker" or "FT Tmes"?.

The EpsoN R300 printer does not print A2 sized paper. Here is what the specs say:
"Paper Sizes
* 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10" Letter, legal, A4, B5, A5, A6, half letter, executive, Panoramic 8.3" x 23.4", user definable (3.5" to 44" in length);"

In other words, it is a standard 8.5x11 inch paper printer.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back