• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR66 ED or GSgg5 ED (1 Viewer)

MrBitsy

I am about to buy my very first scope, so have read many views on here as well as reviews elsewhere. I found a recent thread on here regarding these two scopes, so went to test them out for myself.

Initially I had the SDL ZOOM on both scopes. I found the GS to have the brighter image. I then put the HDF eyepiece into the GS and found the colours had more 'punch'. I was surprised at this, because Opticron say the SDL is specially designed for the new HR66! I had an HDF zoom eyepiece fitted to the HR66 so I could directly compare the two models.

A Goldfinch settled on a feeder for several minutes, so I looked through each scope many times. I found the GS showed more detail in the darker colours on the Goldfinches head. The HR showed the darker reds on the goldfinch head as almost black, where the GS still showed a hint of red with more detail. The goldfinch departed and its place taken by a Great Tit. On the head, The GS showed greater detail in the black feathers than the HR.

Control wise I found the GS superior too, as it has two focus knobs. One is a standard focus control, but the other is a fine contol. I found I could 'squeeze' more detail from the view more quickly on the GS - maybe this fine control was the reason I was seeing more detail, because it was better focussed more of the time? I continued by looking at the tops of trees with bright blue sky behind, looking for CA. I found both scopes showed very little CA, yet I still felt I was getting more resolution from the GS.

On other days and different locations, I have also tested scopes from Nikon and Viking, but found the GS665 ED to have the brightest view, highest resolution, better controls and better colour definition.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back