• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest Opticron 80mm best mid priced scope? (2 Viewers)

Paul125

Been looking into buying a 80mm objective scope for all my birding needs.
Mid priced (400-700 gbp). I've researched quite a bit and read quite a few reviews of different models. Don't think my wallet will stretch (even to a decent second hand model) of the "best named" makes. Had a look at the RSPB AG80 but got some bad write up.

Seeking some assurance and clarification.

The Opticron ES 80mm GA ED (V3) seems to be widely reviewed as 'the best of the rest'.

Is this the case? Anyone with any other suggestions?

I've read that this model actually works better with the slightly cheaper HDF zoom rather than the SDL zoom.

Is this the case? Anyone with experience of these two to compare?

Opticron ES80 GA ED v3 Angled, HDF 20-60x Zoom and Green Stay-on-case
Free Delivery* £649.00

Does this seem a good deal? I thought it looked pretty decent value.

Paul125,

i have used both the SDL and the HDF and whislt I conced some folks prefer the HDF eyepiece I much prefer the SDL. To start with the SDL needs no re-adjustment of focus when zooming through the range which is not the case with the HDF. Also I think that using the SDL requires a bit more patience than some folks are prepared to give it. The mainproblem is that some folks can't get to grips with the eye relief of the SDL. I find it much easier to get the bird in focus using a low mag on the SDL then gradually zoom through the range and find this much easier than using the HDF

But i'm sure others have differing opinions.

Your deal seems like a steal to me!

The scope you mention is very good value for money, both new and secondhand. With the SDL eyepiece, I was able to (just) get a sharp image @ 60X. I too prefer the SDL - slightly more FOV at the maximum magnification and waterproof.

I managed to get a 2ndhand Swaro AT80HD w/ 20-60X + 30X eyepieces within your budget - it is a stunning scope, and I have no trouble getting a sharp image at 60x, in most conditions. Keep a look out for any 2ndhand swaro/nikon etc deals.

Been looking into buying a 80mm objective scope for all my birding needs.
Mid priced (400-700 gbp). I've researched quite a bit and read quite a few reviews of different models. Don't think my wallet will stretch (even to a decent second hand model) of the "best named" makes. Had a look at the RSPB AG80 but got some bad write up.

Seeking some assurance and clarification.

The Opticron ES 80mm GA ED (V3) seems to be widely reviewed as 'the best of the rest'.

Is this the case? Anyone with any other suggestions?

I've read that this model actually works better with the slightly cheaper HDF zoom rather than the SDL zoom.

Is this the case? Anyone with experience of these two to compare?

Opticron ES80 GA ED v3 Angled, HDF 20-60x Zoom and Green Stay-on-case
Free Delivery* £649.00

Does this seem a good deal? I thought it looked pretty decent value.

Hi Paul,

Cant speak for v3 , I,ve had had the previouse model for about a year & yes I prefer the hdf to the sdl ,tried the two together in a hide on a dull day and IMO hdf has better brightness and more natural feel , I cant get a sharp image with either lense over 50x, If you dont think you will need high mags I would recomend it in your price range ,if you think you will need high mags go for the second hand swaro etc,still bear in mind I have not looked through the v3 so that may be an improvment at the high mags.

PH

PH

Where's that deal from? If you're not interested in it, I am. Sounds very good.

Graham

Swoptcs do this deal..... http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1951

I have the V2 version of this scope and used it for a couple of years with the HDF zoom. Like the previous post I found it hard to achieve crisp focus above 50x in less than ideal conditions but was great otherwise. I have since bought the 32xWW HDF lens and have only used this lens since then.

I agree with the poster above, if you don't require high mags go for the Optcron and maybe consider the 32x lens (about £50 cheaper). If high mags (+45x) are essential it might be worth hanging on for a second hand swaro or similiar.

Perry

Thanks to all for your opinions.
Had a look at the deal at in-focus, seems a great offer, thanks bren.
Think I am sold on the scope body and need to just try out the sdl and hdf zooms myself to see which I personally prefer, particularly at high mags and with the newer v3 body as both eye pieces seem to have merits.

I managed to get a 2ndhand Swaro AT80HD w/ 20-60X + 30X eyepieces within your budget - it is a stunning scope, and I have no trouble getting a sharp image at 60x, in most conditions. Keep a look out for any 2ndhand swaro/nikon etc deals.[/QUOTE]

Anyone aware of anywhere that does this kind of second hand bargain today?
Used 80mm HD swaro with both eyepieces for less than 700 gbp!!
Surely not.

Anyone aware of anywhere that does this kind of second hand bargain today?
Used 80mm HD swaro with both eyepieces for less than 700 gbp!!
Surely not.

Although that is the considerably older model to the new lithe green Swaro range, which may affect the price.

It is indeed the older model, but the optics are very similar - just a fair bit bulkier than the new ones! I just kept looking on ebay, dealers with secondhand sections, local birding sites and here!

I managed to get to in-focus to have a look at this deal:

OPTICRON ES80 GAED with HDF 20-60x ZOOM and SOC plus DELTA V at £599.00

I viewed and compared the sdl and hdf and also looked through the latest swaro 80mm and the latest nikon 82mm with their zooms to compare. I have to say that IMO, in the fairly dull and cloudy conditions looking right across the valley (+1mile) and at 60 times zoom on all the models I thought the Opticron held its own. IMO the Nikon gave the brightest and clearest image at 60x, but the Swaro + Opticron weren't far behind. Prefered the HDF myself, seemed brighter colours to my eye. I could see very little difference in quality+clarity right across the image between the swaro and the Opti HDF.

Was that impressed with the value for money that I purchased the deal above.
Also got a G clamp for 40 quid that turns the tripods central column into a hide mount.

I managed to get to in-focus to have a look at this deal:

OPTICRON ES80 GAED with HDF 20-60x ZOOM and SOC plus DELTA V at £599.00

I viewed and compared the sdl and hdf and also looked through the latest swaro 80mm and the latest nikon 82mm with their zooms to compare. I have to say that IMO, in the fairly dull and cloudy conditions looking right across the valley (+1mile) and at 60 times zoom on all the models I thought the Opticron held its own. IMO the Nikon gave the brightest and clearest image at 60x, but the Swaro + Opticron weren't far behind. Prefered the HDF myself, seemed brighter colours to my eye. I could see very little difference in quality+clarity right across the image between the swaro and the Opti HDF.

Hi Paul,

It sure proves that you cant beat looking through and comparing scopes/lenses side by side, a dull day is best because you see what they can realy do!,I will have to get a look through an es 80 v3 !.

PH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back