• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Lizard ID (1 Viewer)

ID please on this dragon I found in Kakadu National Park, Northern Territory, Australia.:cat:

Attachments

• Dragon to identify reduced.jpg
    Dragon to identify reduced.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 86
Hi Andy
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was definitely at Kakadu, at Ubirr. I file my photos daily so I always know exactly where each one is taken. This photo is in the middle of rock art photos at Ubirr, Kakadu National Park.

I only have a Stephen Swanson Field Guide, which shows two other Two-lined Dragons, could it be a female Yellow-sided Two-Lined Dragon?

My book does not show a Pindan Two-Lined Dragon.

Hi Lindy,
it looks nothing like Ys Tl Dragon in my book, this link shows the other members of the genus and their distribution. Sorry I can't figure it out for you. Is there a resident herpetologist in Kakadu that you could contact for help?

large parks around the World often have multiple scientific teams at work on a semi permanent basis so that may be a route for you to check or maybe Australia Zoo?

http://www.arod.com.au/arod/reptilia/Squamata/Agamidae/Diporiphora

Cheers, Andy

Distinguishing the species of these is difficult, even for the experts. There are a large number of species and they do not vary much in size, shape, scales or colour (the youngsters being more brightly coloued than the adults).

The crux is the presence of or absence of femoral pores and of the postauricular, gular and scapular folds, and yes you need the specimen to hand. It is not possible to crack it with a photo-id for these ! Nice lizard, though !!

Best wishes,

A field guide must contain dichotomous keys to species, if it doesn't it has no use as a field guide it is just a 'guide to'. However there are lots of good 'guides to' so there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

For Australia there are many local and regional guides and field guides, very useful as a pointer to identification during trips, they are frequently updated and reprinted.

Very often, as seen on some of the other threads here, it is necessary to have the specimen and a bench reference (at present, for Australia, Cogger, 7th edition) to be sure of identification.

Best wishes,

The whole genus Diporiphora is a bit of a mess, according to cogger there's probably about 3-4 species it could be including D.arnhemica, D.australis, D.bennettii and D.bilineata, however given that i can't see a gular fold in that photo i would tentatively guess it is D.bilineata, I'm no expert and these little dragons are a real pain to identify without the specimen in hand and a key.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back