• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CF card. Problems powering on!. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
Just a tale of woe, and a warning!.
A couple of weeks ago I filled up the 128 MB CF card thats usually in my Canon Powershop A80 and put my spare 128MB card in. After taking half a dozen or so pictures it displayed a "Card Error" message. I ejected the card and re-seated it and everything then seemed O.K. Since then I have been getting strange problems with the camera powering down, or not powering up. At one time I thought that the interlock for external cover of the CF card was going faulty because just by opening the cover and then closing it caused the camera to restart working, at another time I thought the power button was U/S and that the batteries had suddenly lost power.
Eventually I changed back to my original 128MB CF card and all the problems have gone away!.
Both are "Viking" from 7Dayshop.com. It just seems that one is faulty!.

alan_rymer said:
Just a tale of woe, and a warning!.
A couple of weeks ago I filled up the 128 MB CF card thats usually in my Canon Powershop A80 and put my spare 128MB card in. After taking half a dozen or so pictures it displayed a "Card Error" message. I ejected the card and re-seated it and everything then seemed O.K. Since then I have been getting strange problems with the camera powering down, or not powering up. At one time I thought that the interlock for external cover of the CF card was going faulty because just by opening the cover and then closing it caused the camera to restart working, at another time I thought the power button was U/S and that the batteries had suddenly lost power.
Eventually I changed back to my original 128MB CF card and all the problems have gone away!.
Both are "Viking" from 7Dayshop.com. It just seems that one is faulty!.

Alan

I have had a similar experience with a 128MB CF card. It came from 7Dayshop, brand Nagiwara but "Produced by Toshiba". It didn't happen immediately or I would have returned it.

In my Coolpix 995 it sometimes gives a card error message when the 995 is switched on from cold or if it is reactivated from sleep mode. But it is not consistent. As far as I can tell there have been no more serious effects.

Bill Watts

I have a 256MB Lexar CF that's done something similar, but just once. After downloading the pics to my hard drive, I removed the card from the reader, put it back in the CP4500, and got the message "This card cannot be used." Also, it would lock up Windows Explorer until you removed the card from the reader. I finally got it to read, reformatted it, and so far it['s working again with no problems.

GR

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back