• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED (1 Viewer)

cnick6

Hello Zeiss fans,

I just picked up a new pair of 10x42 EDs for $220 shipped from B&H. (Don't you just love gift cards...)

So far, I really like them. The focusing wheel seemed a bit loose (at first) but as I got used to it, it feels better each time. I'm not sure I care for the particular ribbing of the wheel but it's OK and not a negative. Perhaps the indents are spaced too wide or something.

I love the outer casing of the Terra ED. I was afraid that it would pick up the usual hand grease but it's actually quit resistant. The eye-cups pick up a little but that's expected. (My Nikon Monarch 5 binoculars are a magnet for grease. I had a pair of Monarch 7 for a short time and its outer shell was slightly better.)

The optical quality is very nice and can find no obvious issues. UPS arrived late today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how they are in brighter conditions but they looked sharp as a tack. Very impressed considering the price point.

So far, I have no real complaints. A really big suggestion would be to include a standard case instead of the felt pouch.

On that note, can someone tell me which Zeiss case to purchase? I'm looking at the Cordura case that comes with the Victory series? Model 12 85 644.

Update: NVM, I just read a user review of this case on B&H and it says this case fits the Terra ED models perfectly.

Cheers,
-Nick

Hello Zeiss fans,

I just picked up a new pair of 10x42 EDs for $220 shipped from B&H. (Don't you just love gift cards...)

So far, I really like them. The focusing wheel seemed a bit loose (at first) but as I got used to it, it feels better each time. I'm not sure I care for the particular ribbing of the wheel but it's OK and not a negative. Perhaps the indents are spaced too wide or something.

I love the outer casing of the Terra ED. I was afraid that it would pick up the usual hand grease but it's actually quit resistant. The eye-cups pick up a little but that's expected. (My Nikon Monarch 5 binoculars are a magnet for grease. I had a pair of Monarch 7 for a short time and its outer shell was slightly better.)

The optical quality is very nice and can find no obvious issues. UPS arrived late today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how they are in brighter conditions but they looked sharp as a tack. Very impressed considering the price point.

So far, I have no real complaints. A really big suggestion would be to include a standard case instead of the felt pouch.

On that note, can someone tell me which Zeiss case to purchase? I'm looking at the Cordura case that comes with the Victory series? Model 12 85 644.

Update: NVM, I just read a user review of this case on B&H and it says this case fits the Terra ED models perfectly.

Cheers,
-Nick

Nick,

Good deal! Glad to hear you are adapting to the "fast" focuser. I no longer have the focus accommodation to deal with that. I stuck it out for three years with the Nikon 8x32 LX and never adapted to it, and it's focuser didn't seem as "fast" as the 8x42 Terra ED, though I never measured the rotation from close focus to infinity on the Zeiss, the Nikon went from cf to ∞ in less than 1/2 turn.

I didn't notice the ribbing on the focus wheel, I think I was too distracted trying to get it to turn at a speed I could handle.

I liked the "outer casing" on the Terra, too, lots of "real estate" to grip and the armor provided a good gripping surface. The eyecups looked large, but they fit okay, and once I hit the brakes on the focus wheel, the image was sharp and bright, and the sweet spot was surprisingly large, better than the Monarchs I've tried. Too bad they don't include a bag, but glad you found one that fits the bin.

I only handled the M5s in a store, but I used the 8x30 M7 for several days and found it easily picked up "schmootz" from my hands. The armor is very "grippy," but you pay the price with it also gripping whatever falls on it.

I much preferred the 7* of the Terra ED vs. the 6.3* of the M5. Of course, the Terra ED is $100 more (w/out a gift card).

Let us know how they perform in the field.

Brock

Good deal! Glad to hear you are adapting to the "fast" focuser. I stuck it out for three years with the Nikon 8x32 LX and never adapted to it, and it's focuser didn't seem as "fast" as the 8x42 Terra ED, though I never measured the rotation from close focus to infinity on the Zeiss, the Nikon went from cf to ∞ in less than 1/2 turn.

Brock, I should be clear about this. I didn't measure the "focus" speed either. I was referring strictly to the physical feel of the focusing knob. Upon very first use, I thought something was wrong. Again, I think it's just a matter of getting used to the feel. My Nikon knob is "stiff" by comparison but in reality the Nikon feels fine. I would tend to err on the side of stiff just because you don't want the focus to change with the slightest bump.

I didn't notice the ribbing on the focus wheel, I think I was too distracted trying to get it to turn at a speed I could handle.

Yeah it's not a big deal. After some use today, I think it's just a matter of where exactly to put my fingertip -- either on top of the rib or in-between the rib spaces. I can easily get distracted from my nitpicks with really, really good optical quality. ;)

The eyecups looked large, but they fit okay, and once I hit the brakes on the focus wheel, the image was sharp and bright, and the sweet spot was surprisingly large, better than the Monarchs I've tried.

Yes I find they work quite well too. Today, I realized that I can use these really nicely while wearing my Oakley Juliet sunglasses. The only downside is that the eye-cups on the Terra ED are *very* stiff. This doesn't bother me though and perhaps they'll loosen up over time.

I only handled the M5s in a store, but I used the 8x30 M7 for several days and found it easily picked up "schmootz" from my hands. The armor is very "grippy," but you pay the price with it also gripping whatever falls on it.

Exactly. What's interesting is that I also own the original Monarch 12x42 ATB and the outer shell is *way* better than the M5 or M7. Wonder why they went away from that...

Let us know how they perform in the field.

I got a chance to use them today around the lake. Very impressive! I probably shouldn't say they're "tack sharp" but they're very, very close. I'm really impressed with the color quality too. The colors (even at 10x) match exactly what my eye sees with no degradation due to the magnification. My Nikon M5s @ 20x56 start to lose (ever so slightly) its color saturation. Again, it's very slight but still noticeable.

I compared the Nikon 12x42 ATB to the Terra ED 10x42 and it's not even close. The Nikon's are really very nice but the Terra has that crisp and sharp picture. I wonder if the ED glass is really showing up here. My M5s are ever-so-slightly sharper than the 12x42 Monarch ATB but it's very close.

I hope Zeiss is working on a 12x (or higher) version of the Terra ED. If they need a QA engineer to test them, then please ship them! :king:

I no longer have the focus accommodation to deal with that. I stuck it out for three years with the Nikon 8x32 LX and never adapted to it...

Brock, I forgot to ask you, what are you using right now -- or what is your "go to" pair of binoculars?

I'm still interested in buying a high-end pair (probably Leica or Swaro) but with the Terra ED [my pocketbook] can breathe somewhat easier now.

B :)

Brock, I forgot to ask you, what are you using right now -- or what is your "go to" pair of binoculars?

I'm still interested in buying a high-end pair (probably Leica or Swaro) but with the Terra ED [my pocketbook] can breathe somewhat easier now.

B :)

My "go to" pair of binoculars for birding depends on where I'm going to. In the backyard or in thick brush, it's the 8x30 EII.

If I'm out and about where there's open landscape, it's the 8x32 SE.

Two reasons for this: (1) I prefer a EWA bin (8.8*) when I'm birding in close since it's easier to find birds in thick brush and at the edges of dense woods, and (2), the lower eyecups on the EII are more comfortable for my face than the longer eyecups of the SE (13.5mm vs. 17.4mm). The eyecups are the same diameter, but with Porros, and in particular with the SE, which requires a more critical eye position to avoid image blackouts, I need to reset the IPD at different distances to main the Perfect Circle of the Ancient Greeks, and at close range the longer eyecups of the SE pinch the bridge of my nose.

I'm not sure if you were being literal with "pocketbook." On the East Coast, men don't carry pocketbooks except in Greenwich Village ("not that there's anything wrong with that" ;)). But I guess on the West Coast things are more progressive.

I wish men's handbags were fashionable, because my pants pockets are always stuffed with enough items to get me on Let's Make a Deal: wallet (I carry it in my front pocket, partly as a habit from the days when I worked and went to school in NYC and partly so my back isn't crooked when I'm driving in the car, a tip from my chiropractor), checkbook, keys, reading glasses, peanuts for the squirrels, treats for the cats at Wiscoy (when I go in to to buy sunflower seeds), candy to sneak into the movies (movie candy costs almost as much as the movie!), a pair of earplugs (those movie previews can be LOUD), change (coins), a small bottle of Germ X, a pen, and my small "idiot pad" (to extend my brain RAM).

When I'm shopping, I have to take everything out on the counter to get to the change at the bottom of my pockets. Perhaps Annabeth can recommend a pocketbook that doesn't look too effeminate. Like the "Bro" or "Manziere," perhaps Kramer invented a "Bro Bag."

Brock

When I'm shopping, I have to take everything out on the counter to get to the change at the bottom of my pockets. Perhaps Annabeth can recommend a pocketbook that doesn't look too effeminate. Like the "Bro" or "Manziere," perhaps Kramer invented a "Bro Bag."

Brock

Get a small messenger bag. In college town you'll blend
right in. People will think you're a professor ;)
Seriously though lots of men carry messenger bags now and
it could make your days out a little easier.

I'm not sure if you were being literal with "pocketbook." On the East Coast, men don't carry pocketbooks except in Greenwich Village ("not that there's anything wrong with that" ;)). But I guess on the West Coast things are more progressive.

Okay you got me there. No, I carry a wallet. Wallet sounds so boring these days and pocketbook sounds much more encompassing of one's entire financial portfolio.

BTW, I do carry a Rothco classic messenger bag. Probably the best bag I've ever bought. They have some cool products.

I mean... check out my Saturday evening bag...

http://www.rothco.com/upload/product/product/8880_Tan_Bag_w-bottle-HR.jpg

chick6
Being somewhat frugal (ok I can be cheap on things to get the job done) I would look at the vortex case from Eagle optics. I have three all well padded with removable carry straps and a zippered pocket built in. No affiliation but I have bought more than I want to admit to from them and have had two problems that were corrected instantly at their expense. Best optics dealer on the web that I have found.
Steve

I think looking at the B&H picture there all pretty much the same case with different badgeing. The only really impressive case I've seen is the one that Zeiss ships with the HT's
Steve

The Victory's case for 42mm binoculars has a satin type lining and a zippered, netted compartment on the inside of the flap.

Last edited:
This is the only sort of case that I use for my bins : an immensely practical go anywhere hard tool box carrycase with fitted internal firm cushioning.

Last edited:
This is the only sort of case that I use for my bins : an immensely practical go anywhere hard tool box carrycase with fitted internal firm cushioning.

Looks nice but not very practical. My binoculars have to fit in my vehicle lock box and the standard case fits perfectly.

The Victory's case for 42mm binoculars has a satin type lining and a zippered, netted compartment on the inside of the flap.

Yeah I looked at some videos on YouTube. It looks like this case is for the Victory T model. The Victory HT has a leather top flap.

I bought a videocamera case (Lowpro) where they fit horizontally. I wish I had the original although in fact I keep them in an aluminum case with my Canons and at times I put them in my bag inside their provided velvet pouch.

Attachments

• 9e8y9y5e.jpg
    9e8y9y5e.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Yeah I looked at some videos on YouTube. It looks like this case is for the Victory T model. The Victory HT has a leather top flap.

Cnick: its not really leather, just a leather-look. But the quality of the cordura and the stitching is a step up from the cases supplied for Conquest and FL.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back