• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New: Natures Top 40 BBC 2 14.30-15.00pm (wdays) (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Thought I would mention that there is a program starting tomorrow afternoon called

Natures Top 40 in 10 parts for 2 weeks (on weekdays)

I think it will be very interesting as it involves all aspects of nature,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fy4px

BBC i-player to those who do not have program in their area or need to see it another time.

Looking forward to it.

I usually go through the TV magazine and tick what I want to watch, I missed this one. Thanks for the reminder Kathy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fy4px

Just watched it, and it was a super little program. Chris Packham did it well.

Talking about Toads in the UK - the Natterjack and the more common one we have the the UK

Ants called Hairy Ants - they did not look hairy I have to admit. What a size of an Ant Hill to see or two Ant hills

Foxes too, and one persons obsession with them.

Anyone else watch it. I have posted the link to watch now. :t:

Another fabulous program Today -so 30 mins of fantastic viewing

The first one was about Moths.
The second about Grey Seals
The thirds about Red Knots in one of the RSPB sites in Norfolk (Great to see)
The fourth Wild Flora in Uist

Have a good look as it is so worth seeing anyday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fy3yk

Link to see as always from here.

Hi folks,

The Knot (and other birds) were at Snettisham; if you ever get the chance to go there don't miss it. But it's best just before high tide.

Bill

Hi folks,

The Knot (and other birds) were at Snettisham; if you ever get the chance to go there don't miss it. But it's best just before high tide.

Bill

hi Bill

Thank you for pointing out the birds at Snettisham, RSPB.

Must have a look sometime as we are not too far away. :-O:-O:-O :t:

Hi Kathy,

There is a cracking set of reserves all the way along that N Norfolk coast. Very much worth visiting but be warned, you need a week (at least) to do them justice.

Bill.

Thank you Bill for your information. Must make a point in visiting the Norfolk Coast for a long weekend in the near future.

We have been to Titchwell so far, a while back, so we will plan our trip so we can include as much as possible.

Most of the journey is consumed by traveling rather than observing birds. So this is why I think we need to go for a few days instead.

I will write a report for definite in our return (and see if we can get some good pictures from the hide) :-O

Superb program today - lots of birds related issues
BBC i-player
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fy3yr

At no 32 - 29 in the chart

32. Wild goats
31 Swallows, Sand Martins
30 Otters (plus a small bit about birds)
29 Rooks/Jackdaws Gathering

Loved the part about the Swallows migrating from East Sussex. and the Sand Martins.

The only place I have seen Sand Martins is at the Scottish Wildlife Centre at Montrose Basin, Scotland. They have a man made area for the Sand Martins to nest at.
I understand that all the nest holes, where bits of pipe sunk into concrete, so they are all the same size placed in an artificial sandy looking mini cliff

The birds have adapted to the artificial nest holes very happily. I see that there is a webcam at Montrose Scottish Wildlife Centre, so you are able to see them if you wish.

With the filming of the Otters there where other wildfowl noted too. i am sure I saw an Osprey in one of the Otter shots. The Otters where found at a reserve close to Newcastle airport (someone will know the name of the place)

The Rooks and Jackdaws gathering as they did where specular to see. I have never seen that many at all in one place.
Great program!

Hi Kathy,

Depends a bit on the time of year but if you can get there in late May with an East wind blowing then Cley is your place (it is at almost any time actually).

Except. When the BTO did their last Winter Birds count back in the early 80s people were asked to walk areas and paths and record everything that they saw. The story goes that one girl walked for 5 hours along the N Norfolk coast in the middle of February and didn't record a single bird! Not sure how true that is but ..........

Bill

Hi Kathy,

Depends a bit on the time of year but if you can get there in late May with an East wind blowing then Cley is your place (it is at almost any time actually).

Except. When the BTO did their last Winter Birds count back in the early 80s people were asked to walk areas and paths and record everything that they saw. The story goes that one girl walked for 5 hours along the N Norfolk coast in the middle of February and didn't record a single bird! Not sure how true that is but ..........

Bill

hi Bill

I think what you have is true as far as viewing birds is concerned. Either you are lucky, or very unlucky with what you see.

We went in the middle of this year to Titchwell, and where not disappointed. This was where we saw the Tree Sparrows for the first time. :-O
There where lots of Advocets and that was a beautiful site to see. :-O

Cley must be our next calling point to see what is there. :t::-O

To see no birds for 5 hours is a lot of disappointment for any one person if your are an enthusiastic bird watcher, or simply doing a Survey for the BTO. :eek!:

Hi Kathy,

Saw the programme for the first time yesterday. I thought it provided lots of useful info on what was happening when and why. I didn't even know we had wild goats. I would really like to see that but it looked a bit of a climb. I think the presenter called the otter place Big Waters Reserve. I must pass it every time I travel up and down to my caravan.

Hi Kathy,

Saw the programme for the first time yesterday. I thought it provided lots of useful info on what was happening when and why. I didn't even know we had wild goats. I would really like to see that but it looked a bit of a climb. I think the presenter called the otter place Big Waters Reserve. I must pass it every time I travel up and down to my caravan.

hi Roy

Hello, and how are you these days? ;)

Thank you for your information about the Reserve stated on the program. Interesting to hear that it has some involvement with Coal (collapsed mines) (my forte in another area of this Forum at the moment)

The Wild Goats where great to look at and their bounding, robust behaviour tells it all.

Look forward to todays program too.

Hi folks,

Just been watching Chris Packham again and once again he's shown a place that I've visited and have a tall tale about.

The place is Belfast Loch and especially the bit that is now a Nature Reserve. Way back in the early 80s I used to visit Belfast regularly on business and the main place was Short Bros the aircraft manufacturers. From there it was just a short drive down past the fuel depot and there was this wild wet area which (I think) is now the Nature Reserve. Back then carrying much luggage with you was a bit of a problem because of the security situation but I was keen to get a closer look at the area so one one trip, greatly daring, I took my scope and tripod as well as my usual optics. After my business visit was done I drove down and set up the tripod and scope and started scanning the area. About 10 mins later a Military patrol vehicle pulled up and out came half a dozen soldiers in combat kit. They fanned out and watched while the Sergeant came up to me and asked me who I was and what was I doing?

I showed him my passport (always a good idea to carry it in those days) and explained that I was bird-watching. He grinned and said would I mind looking for them somewhere else as I was pointing the scope right at an Army base! Presumably over the other side of the marsh.

Needless to say I found other places to go after that and I never took the scope/tripod over there again.

It wasn't as if I'd seen anything interesting anyway, although I did see quite a lot further up the road nearer the fuel depot where there were a couple of large pools and (as far as I know) no 'sensitive' areas.

The hide etc on the programme has all been done much more recently I guess.

I've much enjoyed today's prog I must say; things on there that I've never seen in the flesh.

Bill

Hi folks,

Just been watching Chris Packham again and once again he's shown a place that I've visited and have a tall tale about.

The place is Belfast Loch and especially the bit that is now a Nature Reserve. Way back in the early 80s I used to visit Belfast regularly on business and the main place was Short Bros the aircraft manufacturers. From there it was just a short drive down past the fuel depot and there was this wild wet area which (I think) is now the Nature Reserve. Back then carrying much luggage with you was a bit of a problem because of the security situation but I was keen to get a closer look at the area so one one trip, greatly daring, I took my scope and tripod as well as my usual optics. After my business visit was done I drove down and set up the tripod and scope and started scanning the area. About 10 mins later a Military patrol vehicle pulled up and out came half a dozen soldiers in combat kit. They fanned out and watched while the Sergeant came up to me and asked me who I was and what was I doing?

I showed him my passport (always a good idea to carry it in those days) and explained that I was bird-watching. He grinned and said would I mind looking for them somewhere else as I was pointing the scope right at an Army base! Presumably over the other side of the marsh.

Needless to say I found other places to go after that and I never took the scope/tripod over there again.

It wasn't as if I'd seen anything interesting anyway, although I did see quite a lot further up the road nearer the fuel depot where there were a couple of large pools and (as far as I know) no 'sensitive' areas.

The hide etc on the programme has all been done much more recently I guess.

I've much enjoyed today's program I must say; things on there that I've never seen in the flesh.

Bill

hi Bill

Love to hear about your interesting life bill. The way you have described what you experienced is quite daunting to be honest here. :t:

That is the thing about modern TV it brings back some of our deepest, special, unique memories of places that mean a lot to us in our lives!

I hope that you are alright, and not been too distracted about what you have seen on the program. It must bring a lot back to you. I hope that you are okay!

Last edited:
Todays program was about Bats, Butterflies, Terns and Pine Martins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fy3z5

28 - Swarming Bats
27 - Butterflies
26 - Arctic Terns
25 - Pine Martens

Todays program was about Pipestral Bats. One family them roosting in the eves of a families house and they have grown to accept them

Did you know that Owls take bats as part of their quarry - never knew that myself.

Butteflies - The Emperior is one of most beautiful butterflies to see

The Flower it lives the most is the Rock Rose and as long as these flowers exist the empire will remain

The other one butterfly, which was viewed was a Silver Studded Butterfly, similar to a Common Blue but rarer. In Wales there is a butterfly specular with this species called a Masses of the great Orb (I think that is what I heard), correct me if need be here. Love to know more from others here.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...ButterflyId=64

Next item was the Arctic Terms and they are so Territorial that Chris Packham was pecked to death LOL. These birds love Sand-eels (is this Puffin food too?). Here on the Farne Isles Sand-eels are abundant.

Great to know that they are a success on the Farne Isles

Lastly Pine Martens, and they are a favourite to some of the locals with their Peanut and Jam diet. They have Kits, and I bet they are cute as anything.
They are seen at Fort William, Scotland and the locals like them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back