• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon FSB -U1 (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Hi folks,
excuse my incompetence but the whole issue of which adapter goes with which eyepiece/camera leaves me totally confused - despite (trying) to check the manufacturers spec sheets.

I've just been looking at the Nikon page with the line-up of eyepieces/adapters/cameras but can't figure out if the FSB-U1 will be suitable for the S5100 matched with the 16x wide DC eyepiece. Will it be suitable or would I need to have the FSB-7?. The latter only seems to be available from a seller in Japan (there's a thread on this subject) despite Nikon selling complete kits here in the UK (S5100, FSB-7, and the RAIII 65 spotting scope).

Alternatively, would a combination of the FSA-1, 2, and 3 used with the 27x wide MC be possible?

yours
Confused (Gordon)

Hi Gordon, I read your post and I know the frustration you're going through.. I finally through in the towel and purchased a Nikon FSB-6 camera bracket and a Nikon P5000 camera.. The camera got mixed reviews but it does fit the FSB-6, I had to search for a while just to find this outfit.. I still need the Nikon 30X DS eyepiece but no one has them in stock at this time.. As far as I know the FSB-U1 is supposed to be a swing out universal adapter which should adapt to most camera's but I wasn't personally interested in it.. Nikon's adapter choices are limited at this time so I thought I would buy some of there older equipment and give it a try as a starting point.. Good Luck

FreelanderUK - yes, I've seen that on Ebay. It looks a bit of a palaver.

Brooklyn - problem is that it is my wife who wants to do this and she's already got the S5100 and got carried away when she saw that Nikon are selling it as part of a package along with the RAIII65 spotting scope and the FSB-7. (I must admit that, to me, it looks like a lot of people could be disappointed as the S5100 is a very basic P&S - I can't see any user options to control even the ISO).

So it looks like we need to try to source the FSB-7. Unless somebody can clear up my original question.

cheers guys
Gordon

Gordon, I down loaded the Nikon S5100 manual from the internet and I see you have 2 ISO ranges, 100-400 and 100-800 the camera takes over within one of those ranges.

Being that you already have the S5100 you could try an inexpensive universal adapter to get your feet wet so to speak and your other option is to contact Nikon directly. You might even try a local or internet optics company and ask some questions.

Hi Brooklyn,
your're suggestion to contact Nikon directly is indeed the most sensible thing to do and its what I'll be doing shortly.

My wife has tried a "cheaper" universal adaptor in the past and my brother-in-law even precision lathed an aluminium bar for a previous combnation but she didn't "get on" with either.

thanks
Gordon

Hio Gordon,

The FSB-U1 is an universal Digiscoping adapter only for DS and EDG eyepieces. You can try and set it up on your S5100 if you don't want to buy the FSB-7 :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back