• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo/ Sparrowhawk??? Stockholm, Sweden???? (1 Viewer)

anovek,I too think it is a cuckoo,how long as a mistlethrush had a grey head.

Last edited:
Fieldfare would have a grey back.....post the other pics Ann, but sure looks like Mistle Thrush, esp the first photo

Tail (and wings) looks too short for a Cuckoo... but if you have more pics it might be good to see them. In these photos I see a thrush, probably Mistle.

Must admit my first impression was a 'thrush', short wings, tail etc. But after enlarging one of the pics. it does look quite cuckoo like, looking back over its shoulder. Pale chin and breast, barring, not spotting on flanks. Think I even see a pale eye, yellow would be pushing it. Allowing for the quality of the pics and in spite of the structure not appearing quite right, I'm prepared to back Ann and agree with cuckoo.

Twite.

Attachments

• Noname.jpg
    Noname.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 134
Why not greater spotted cuckoo.
Edited to say: Having looked and looked and looked I am now more in the Mistle camp.

Last edited:
There are heaps of beautiful Mistle thrushes around here and I think it looks too big and back too wide as they are tall but slender birds and throat too white ...... and that grey colour weird. Now I am no expert of course ......

Interesting, does look a bit like a cuckoo. But another vote for mistle thrush from me. Would be a bit late for a cuckoo as well, especially as the colouring (grey head) WOULD suggest adult? Most of them are back in Africa by now. Maybe a mistle thrush pretending to be a cuckoo. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back