• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

Saturday 8th February 1045-1330

Strong SSW wind kept most passerines' heads down.

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, 4 Canada Geese, 1 Cormorant, 5 GC Grebe, 3 Little Grebe, 9 Tufted Duck, 7 Coot, 15 Mallard, c200 Lapwing in the camping field

FLASHES
4 Mallard, 43 Teal, 19 Coot, 2 Oystercatcher, 23 Greylag Geese over, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Skylark

MOORS POOL
2 Mute Swan, 107 Canada Geese, 25 Cormorant, 3 GC Grebe, 5 Shelduck, 33 Shoveler, 37 Teal, c60 Mallard, 24 Pochard, 48 Tufted Duck, 10 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 8 Curlew, Cetti's Warbler calling from the Broadmeadow, Stock Dove, c100 BH Gull, constant turnover of large gulls - max count of 32 LBB Gull (including a pair displaying), 27 Herring Gull, an adult Yellow-legged Gull and a possible third winter Caspian Gull (unfortunately only seen on the water). Well worth keeping an eye on the larger gulls in the current weather conditions

Scarcest sighting of the day was the Lesser Spotted Gavo ;)

Forgot to add, yesterday a pair of teal were mating. First time I have seen this at Upton. As its only February, I am sure this was just a bit of 'pair bonding'.

Strong SSW wind kept most passerines' heads down.

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, 4 Canada Geese, 1 Cormorant, 5 GC Grebe, 3 Little Grebe, 9 Tufted Duck, 7 Coot, 15 Mallard, c200 Lapwing in the camping field

FLASHES
4 Mallard, 43 Teal, 19 Coot, 2 Oystercatcher, 23 Greylag Geese over, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Skylark

MOORS POOL
2 Mute Swan, 107 Canada Geese, 25 Cormorant, 3 GC Grebe, 5 Shelduck, 33 Shoveler, 37 Teal, c60 Mallard, 24 Pochard, 48 Tufted Duck, 10 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 8 Curlew, Cetti's Warbler calling from the Broadmeadow, Stock Dove, c100 BH Gull, constant turnover of large gulls - max count of 32 LBB Gull (including a pair displaying), 27 Herring Gull, an adult Yellow-legged Gull and a possible third winter Caspian Gull (unfortunately only seen on the water). Well worth keeping an eye on the larger gulls in the current weather conditions

Scarcest sighting of the day was the Lesser Spotted Gavo ;)

Phil at the Moors- I had 2 common gull c 2.30pm an adult and 2nd winter and 11 curlew no sign of any yellow legged or caspian types from 2pm to 3.15

Phil at the Moors- I had 2 common gull c 2.30pm an adult and 2nd winter and 11 curlew no sign of any yellow legged or caspian types from 2pm to 3.15

Cheers Paul - what sort of numbers of large gulls did you have at any one time?

PS late news of an immature GBB Gull at the Moors Pool on Wednesday
PPS 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and a Kittiwake in the roost at Westwood tonight so a few interesting gulls knocking around

Last edited:
Just a late update,Ostercaster came in late to moors Lesser Kestral says there was still 2 on flashes when he left to come over,large flock of BHG stayed on moors had a total of 32 birds from 15.00 to 17.30 not bad for a storm afternoon
pics
1 female Pheasant 7 in total
2 very light Pheasant
3 Cormorants going nowhere in the wind
4 can anyone see a flying swan?
5 Gulls

Attachments

• wekend 001.jpg
    wekend 001.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 91
  • wekend 004.jpg
    wekend 004.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 88
  • wekend 009.jpg
    wekend 009.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 78
  • wekend 014.jpg
    wekend 014.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 105
  • wekend 025.jpg
    wekend 025.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 75
Morning!
A request....
Whilst in Peru [bloody (country) name dropper!] I lost my mobile phone. Yesterday, after a week of no walking and fever due to cellulitis infection in left leg [ouch!], finally got ot and got a new one.
If you know me, have my mobile number and want to [!], can you please text me your name and number so that I can get all the contacts back. For those who know me, would like my number and want it - 07988754090.
Going down t' Warren this afternoon so maybe see you there.

For those interested in Peru, as a thank you to the people who got i touch on Birdforum offering advice, I put the following comment. [scroll down quick - non UW content!]

"What a country! Going back asap but in the meantime I want to say a massive thanks you to everyoen who took the time to respond and offer such great advice. I really do appreciate it. THANKS.

As for the birds, having no guide, never having been before and having never been to South America before, and the spontaneous nature of me going, well it all led to a bit of a panic over "what's that bird?"
Really, the birding was fabulous as it was like going back to basics. Notebook after notebook, writing descriptions as fast as I could with the bird in front of me. Genera new to me let alone species. Individual stunners together with birds massed in unexpected places.
Starting in Lima with an afternoon, a full day and the following morning before heading for the Paracas, was good. New birds straight away from the airport to the hostel and even better when the afternoon of Christmas day was spent walking around Miraflores, then down to the beach to be greeted by 100s of Franklin's gulls, Inca terns and Peruvian Boobies.
A full day spent at Los Panatos de Villa, highlights being the tens of thousands of birds on the beach, Franklin's again mostly and elegant terns, with 100s of pelicans, a few black skimmers, Hudsonian whimbrel and various egrets and smaller waders. Inland - burrowing owl, killdeer and the amazingly tame, Peruvian thicknees, as well as muti-coloured rush tyrants, Peruvian meadowlarks, various ducks and black vultures everywhere.
Off to the Paracas - just one word - incredible, with a boat trip out to the Ballesteras Islands the day after. Half a million birds can't be wrong. Surf cinclodes seen v. close too.
Back to Lima then a flight to Cuzco. New Year seen in here. RC sparrows and C. thrushes everywhere; almost falling over them!
To Macchu Picchu eventually and then back to Cuzco. A few days on the edge of the Manu, well down from the terrifying/exhilerating cross Andes by dirt track road. Chontachaka reserve was my place of stay as a volunteer. Cock O' the Rock lec to see each morning before sunrise. Sunbittern and a howling monkey that came and lay next to you as you'd be writing notes by candle light in the evening, waiting to be scratched by you!
Back to Cuzco, a coach to Lima, a final full day back at Los Pantanos with amazing changes in what was there compared to the 3 weeks previous. Even greater numbers of Franklin's gulls and 100s of Hud' whimbrels, more ducks than previously and v. close views of Great Grebes, seen distantly before and the same with burrowing owls that were a few meters away.
Fabulous. Going back hopefully in June for a longer time; 3 months hopefully.
Wonderful bird and butterflies, fabulous habitats and such diversity, brilliant people. I enjoyed it!!!
So thanks to you. You helped make it so special. "

Still I prefer Upton Warren. Miss the lads!

Cheers Paul - what sort of numbers of large gulls did you have at any one time?

PS late news of an immature GBB Gull at the Moors Pool on Wednesday
PPS 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and a Kittiwake in the roost at Westwood tonight so a few interesting gulls knocking around

Phil at any one time max 20 herring gull mostly 1st and 2nd winters and no more than 12 LBBs all adults bar one

a few from today

just some random pics

Attachments

• DSC06331.jpg
    DSC06331.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC06493.jpg
    DSC06493.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC06379.jpg
    DSC06379.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC06467.jpg
    DSC06467.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC06469.jpg
    DSC06469.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 66
feeding green finches

was watching these feeding, talk about scrapping.

Attachments

• DSC06382-002.jpg
    DSC06382-002.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC06400-001.jpg
    DSC06400-001.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC06416-001.jpg
    DSC06416-001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC06421-001.jpg
    DSC06421-001.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC06439-001.jpg
    DSC06439-001.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 80
Spent the afternoon on moors til 4.30. Not too much moving.
Snipe become active on the promontory from 3.30pm. Gert and Tim had jack snipe and plenty of snipe started feeding.
Species count Moors:
GCG 3. Shoveler 20+, gadwall pr, teal 24. Pochard 25+. Tufted c25. Coot c25. Snipe 40+. Jack snipe 2. Lapwing 220. Curlew 10. BHG 150. Herring gull 10. stock dove. Raven 2. Song thrush 4 singing. Mistle thrush. Fieldfare 40. Redpoll 10.

Saing pool:
GCG 4, Little grebe 2, tufted 6, coot 7.

FLASHES:
teal 15, shelduck 5. Coot 23. Curlew 10. Lapwing 140 -at night the flock usually fly out to feed elsewhere. But now they feed in the meadow at dark as a result of the grazing. snipe 5 flew out. BHG 400 roosted. LBBG 4 roosted. no green sands by 6pm. Fieldfafe 90. Songthrush 2 singing.

Last edited:
Ringed Plover on the Flashes this afternoon. Reported in the hide book as arriving 13:15 - flew west at 15:30 and didn't return.

Attachments

• IMG_6663a.jpg
    IMG_6663a.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6677a.jpg
    IMG_6677a.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6678a.jpg
    IMG_6678a.jpg
    906.4 KB · Views: 63
Moors this morning. Amy's Marsh and the grassy area by the telegraph pole on LH of east hide was teaming with common snipe at 10:00 this morning. I gave up counting when I reached 70 + as they were so many and so lively. The gulls went up several times and during one lift the snipe must have completely relocated as I could only find three on the Broadmeadow area.
There are eight in this spot alone. The grassy bank was covered with them. No jacks though.

Attachments

• IMG_6427a.jpg
    IMG_6427a.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
The sand martins have been to a fancy dress party!
This little blue tit tried at least eight of these holes for size.

Attachments

• IMG_6400a.jpg
    IMG_6400a.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6403a.jpg
    IMG_6403a.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back