• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski TLS APO 23 DSLR Adapter (2 Viewers)

Just for fun I've just ordered another Tmount/M/43rds adapter off Amazon
Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, T2/T-Mount Lens to Micro Four Thirds (MFT)
Neil.

Has anybody compared this to the Digidapter? (http://www.digiscopeadapter.com/)

Also are there any comparison regarding the f/stop between TLS APO 23 and the TLS APO 30?

I use both systems but I haven't had a shootout to compare the two systems. Manual focusing with the TLS APO23 can be a challenge , although cameras with Focus Peaking make it much easier. On my recent trip to Ohio for the warblers I used both systems and ended up mostly using the Digidapter as I found the AF of the Sigma 30/2.8 and Panasonic/Leica 25/1.4 very fast and accurate in the good light over there. For shooting video though the TLS APO23 comes into it's own as you don't need AF.
Neil.

I'm a bit late on getting back on the Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, T2/T-Mount Lens to Micro Four Thirds (MFT) that I ordered from Amazon which I've had for about a week. When tested on the TLS APO 23 it seems to have solved the right hand "shadowing"problem I was having with the previous T-mount adapter. Good news.
Neil.

I've been using for one year and a half the ATX 85 +TLS APO 30 and I’m quite happy since then, but can appreciate the advantages that a smaller aperture can give, specially in the shallow depth-of-field/accurate focusing affair, so as soon as I have learned the existence of the 23 mm I’m eager to put my hands in one.

A couple of questions: From what I’ve read the difference comes just from the lens’ focal length. Is there room for improvement in the APO lens quality that can result in better luminosity?

Another question, although more related with the scope itself rather than the adapter. Is there any disadvantage from light transmission point of view using the angled ocular rather than the straight one for digiscoping? If so, can it be quantified as f/stops gain (I own the angled one)

Last edited:
I've tried to rework the figures for ATX based on the previous worksheet for both TLS adapters. Please let me know if there is some error on it

Yes, I am also interested in the precise focal length and f-stop data on this adapter. A long time ago Clay Taylor (Swaro rep) provided the attached spreadsheet for the original TLS APO. I'm interested in the updated figures for micro-4/3 format using the new TLS APO 23.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• FSTOPS WITH ATX AND APO30 APO23.xlsx
    15.8 KB · Views: 108
New TLS APO 23

I've finally got a production version of the TLS APO 23 for Micro Four Thirds. My original testing was with early production sample. If this one is any better it will be fantastic.
I hope to test it out in the wetlands next Wednesday on the GX8. And I'll be taking it down to Sydney for a month over Christmas.
Neil.
Hongkong.

I've been using the APO 23 for about four months and never bothered about using again the APO 30 (which I used for about 2 yrs previously)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back