• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland Mini-Vacations 2017 (1 Viewer)

Hi Dave. You're quite right of course. This is very much a family trip but like most birders I try to fit a birding session in here and there. This morning I was out at first light looking, and failing to find, Caper in Abernethy forest. Still had a glorious morning with a Red Deer bellowing away and Skeins of Pink-footed Geese flying over.

Also had a Crestie and Red Squirrel in the cottage garden this morning.

We then went to Landmark which the children really enjoyed.

Rich

Rich

Sound like you have had another great trip. One day you and me both will stumble across one of those capers!!

2018 will be our year Paul:-O:t:

Watched a few more Cresties and Roe Deer in the forest this morning. And a few more skeins of geese overhead.

Something hoovered up all the peanuts I put out last night. Wish I was able to stay awake to keep an eye on them:-C. Apparently peanut butter sarnies attract the Martens to the cottage a couple of doors up.

Went with the boys on a boat trip out of Nairn this afternoon. No dolphins but a single Long-Tailed Duck was nice along with Kittiewakes, Eider and a Guillemot.

Time for some Welsh tapas:eat::t:

Already planning next year's trip. Shall I swing by Leicestershire on the way to pick you up Paul?:-O

Rich

Can I suggest that next year you plan to cover less distance and focus more on the things you keep missing? Once you've seen them you can return to touring the whole of Scotland in a single trip! Good luck next year

Cheers

John

Can I suggest that next year you plan to cover less distance and focus more on the things you keep missing? Once you've seen them you can return to touring the whole of Scotland in a single trip! Good luck next year

Cheers

John

You're probably right John but this trip was a family trip. My sis has only really been to Skye so I wanted to show her as much as possible as to why we like it so much. The reason for the trip was her 30th Birthday.

Birding sessions were very much fitted in where possible. And I still dipped 3 times:-O I should also add that driving around the highlands is one of the things I enjoy and dipping means I have to go backo:D

Rich

Last edited:
Now normally I only return home to bills - I still did this time! So please excuse the rubbish photos as I was a little excited to come home to a garden first:t: Well pleased!!

Attachments

• IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4497.jpg
    IMG_4497.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 48
The youngest enjoyed counting the Grouse at Lochindorb and this Partridge had a bit of a death wish:-O

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4467.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4481.jpg
    IMG_4481.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 47
This is where we stayed:

http://www.highlandholidayhomes.com/Index/Properties/Nethybridge/osprey-house

Great location. The boys enjoyed making dens in the woods and Cresties and Red Squirrels visited the feeders in the garden. The photos really don't do it justice.

Forgot to add that we visited the Harbour Café in Nairn whilst waiting for the boat, and I can recommend the chips (proper), and Lorne sausage and egg roll. The boys gave their thumbs up to the ice cream.

Last edited:
You're probably right John but this trip was a family trip. My sis has only really been to Skye so I wanted to show her as much as possible as to why we like it so much. The reason for the trip was her 30th Birthday.

Birding sessions were very much fitted in where possible. And I still dipped 3 times:-O I should also add that driving around the highlands is one of the things I enjoy and dipping means I have to go backo:D

Rich

I understand - and I love driving round the Highlands as well, never been sure quite why I like to view them that way!

As far as knocking off the last birds is concerned, having cleaned up many years ago I can reassure you that I have no difficulty inventing reasons to go again - and again - and again...... :t:

John

I understand - and I love driving round the Highlands as well, never been sure quite why I like to view them that way!

As far as knocking off the last birds is concerned, having cleaned up many years ago I can reassure you that I have no difficulty inventing reasons to go again - and again - and again...... :t:

John

Beer, seafood, friendly people etc. etc:t:eek::D

2018 will be our year Paul:-O:t:

Watched a few more Cresties and Roe Deer in the forest this morning. And a few more skeins of geese overhead.

Something hoovered up all the peanuts I put out last night. Wish I was able to stay awake to keep an eye on them:-C. Apparently peanut butter sarnies attract the Martens to the cottage a couple of doors up.

Went with the boys on a boat trip out of Nairn this afternoon. No dolphins but a single Long-Tailed Duck was nice along with Kittiewakes, Eider and a Guillemot.

Time for some Welsh tapas:eat::t:

Already planning next year's trip. Shall I swing by Leicestershire on the way to pick you up Paul?:-O

Rich

have to keep the dream alive Rich.. I do fear that, if I do not connect with one soon sadly the chance may be gone forever.

Not sure that I will get a chance next year unfortunately. I only get one "proper" birding week away per year and am thinking of Northumbria & Farn isle etc next year to try and nail roseate tern amongst others. Could be persuaded to make it a two location trip however. Still working on other half for the family holiday though!!

have to keep the dream alive Rich.. I do fear that, if I do not connect with one soon sadly the chance may be gone forever.

Not sure that I will get a chance next year unfortunately. I only get one "proper" birding week away per year and am thinking of Northumbria & Farn isle etc next year to try and nail roseate tern amongst others. Could be persuaded to make it a two location trip however. Still working on other half for the family holiday though!!
:-OGood luck:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back