• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40d and 100-400 is. Which bag?? (1 Viewer)

mark f

Going to spain next week and the cameras coming to. Im confused as to which bag to get. I was thinking of the slingshot 300, but im not completely convinced.

Any advice? I like the idea of having the lens attatched.
Was also looking at the tamrac adventure 7, but the lens wont be able to be attatched.

What do you guys use and what do you like about your luggage? Thanks. Mark.

I use a Lowepro mini trekker. Holds my 30D plus either the 100-400 or the 400 5.6 attached to the camera. I very rarely take both lenses out at the same time. Plenty of space for the 17-85, a 1.4x, my bins and Speedlite flashgun. Room left over too for batteries, CF cards, shutter cable etc. Just fits in the airport cage as hand baggage.

Rhod

I have the Tamrac 5 and it takes the camera with 100-400 attached (hood reversed) plus spare body and lense. It doesn't have space for waterproof etc so maybe the size up would be better.
It is a well made bag. and much cheaper than the Lowenpro

I have a spare Lowepro which is in 2 parts. The camera and lens fits snugly in the bottom part, and all my junk, sorry,extras, from waterproof trousers to spare batteries etc go in the top. Pity you were not closer as I have a couple and you could use this! I am certainly very pleased with the combination and it is very comfortable to carry when there is a lot of walking to do. It should have been 40pounds, but I paid 30 from Focal Point;

I use the same as RLJ2005, and have very similar equipment, works fine for me and I am just on the weight limit and just within size limit. Have a good holiday.

thanks guys for you help.

Todd. I see you had to alter the inside to get it to fit. It doesnt fit in the way it is laid out as standard inabling you to bring it to the front and get it out does it?

I don't think there is any such thing as a "standard" layout. Lowepro have to supply the bag with some sort of configuration, but I woudn't call it a "standard". The whole point of the adjustable sections is to configure the bag to suit your personal needs.

Anyway, to answer your question the way I imagine you were expecting, there is no way you could fit the mounted lens across the bag in the "standard" configuration. If quick access to the 100-400 is your concern then use my config and simply swap the 100-400 to the "outer" half of the bag. I have seen a configuration somewhere on POTN (not sure if it was with a 100-400) where the guy had arranged the dividers so that the camera/lens was inserted and extracted into/from a sort of diagonal tube that he had created within the bag. If I can find it I'll post a link here.

Here we go : http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=331235

Of course, if you're only taking the one body/lens then maybe even the SS 200 will be larger than you need. I don't know whether it is as long/tall but maybe the SS 100 would be an even better choice for compactness.

Last edited:
thanks to all of you for your very prompt help. After umming and arring i have a ss 200 winging its way from amazon as we speak. thanks. Mark.

mark f seems to have chosen his bag so not much point in relating my experiences but I will anyway!
Recently bought a Kata R103 camera / laptop bag. Well impressed - it was bought specifically for gear and laptop and also to be compatible with airline carry-on restrictions, all of which it performed admirably. Fully loaded ( 40D, 100-400, 17-40, camcorder, binoculars, laptop, batteries, portable HDD, cards, filters, chargers, ipod etc) it was uncomfortably heavy but at least I felt comfortable that should I lose my checked luggage at least I'd have everything I needed to photograph our holiday (whale watching).
The rucksack is extremely well built, got more straps than a pervs parlour and is very well padded for the gear within - recommended!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back