• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Flight Shots-Another Try (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
Today was my day out to find Hawks for flight photos. I found a bunch of them, managed to get these shots I like best. All photos were shot with the information below. Hopefully I am getting better. I'll let you all critique and let me know.

First two photos same photo, one cropped up close, other cropped but not so close up. I am not real good with the computer end of things on photos which shows in background color of the two photos. The 3rd photo is a take off shot.

Shooting Information
AV mode 7.1......first time try not using Sports Mode
TV 1/4000
ISO- 1600, 400 seemed slow to me.
FL- 70.0mm

Using Canon 450D Rebel with a 70-300 IS Lens.

Attachments

• Hawkflight2AA.jpg
    Hawkflight2AA.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 166
  • HawlflightDeb10-25-08.jpg
    HawlflightDeb10-25-08.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Hawktakeoff10-25-08Z.jpg
    Hawktakeoff10-25-08Z.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 190
On the second pic I do have some grain showing. This is due to me adding too much saturation I think, which can be fixed so please ignore this for now it was my fault on computer. It is not on original photo.

Hi,

Getting better!
The grain is because of ISO 1600. To be honest, you could have survived with ISO 400, and ISO 800 would have been plenty, but not to worry.
You have certainly managed to get the bird a lot bigger in the frame, and it seems the stopping down worked - they look sharper.
I think the next step is to work on getting the light in the right place - if you had managed to move around and get the bird head on, the light should have been hitting the bird straight on rather than side on. Have you got a link to the original photo's (unedited ), then I could make suggestions on improvements for post processing.
Any reason why you chose 70mm FL? I would have thought zooming right in would have made the picture even better.

Hi AC/DC, thanks for replying. Having trouble getting this posted since my puter is acting up and deleted my message twice before I got it posted.

On the head on for light..when I first saw the bird in the take off flight shot it had it's back facing me and the sun facing it. I managed to move around so I and the bird were facing each other with the sun behind me or there abouts. I got a few shots that way then the bird turned sideways and did the take off flight. I took the picture somewhere between 11 am and 1 pm so the sun was more above us. too bad it didn't take off when facing me. I had a fence beside me too so no room to suddenly move when it took off. Think I would have missed shot too.

I checked back on the focal lengths..the two photos which are same photo was at 70mm. The take off flight shot was 300mm FL instead of 70mm like I posted. My error sorry. I usually do shoot at 300mm. The reason on this first photo is probably because the bird caught me by surprise on this one. I was wanting to get this bird perched on the pole like the others but it didn't want to cooperate. As soon as I got in range it took off from above, instead of flying away from me, it came down towards me quickly, I wasn't ready for that. It swooped down then turned sideways, I snapped pic quickly, hoping I got it. It was one of the moments, get the shot or lose it. I agree, would have been a great shot if I had zoomed in.

Back to ISO, when I tried it out at home the time between shutter opening and closing was like counting one, two so I thought maybe slow for flight shot, maybe get a blur or miss shot. Why would it seem to slow to me? I have used 400 on other cameras. Could I have a setting wrong?
I'll get you an orginal.

Thanks for your help on this. :)

Anyone else ever have days like this....spur of the moment shots, only have few seconds to grab it and .....................part of wing out of photo, focus out..other photo out of focus and sun glare..UGHHHHH

Would have loved these photos to have been right. :(

Another question..anyone ever feel like you lose your knack for certain types of photography at times? I used to be able to take good still shots...now can only do flight somewhat...if I get the bird in frame..lol..usually I do why I am so frustrated on these flight shots posted. Not sure if I am getting confused with my settings for flight or what but I can hardly take a clear photo of a bird sitting still. Blows my mind.

Attachments

• hawkflightcool1-9-09.jpg
    hawkflightcool1-9-09.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 118
  • hawkxx.jpg
    hawkxx.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Debra,
I think you're really coming along just fine. The only reason I ever post is because of digital - believe me if I were still shooting film I couldn't afford it! Many of my shots go in the trash can. I would be happy to have the shots from your first post. The lighting situations get the best of most of us. Keep going.

Thank you Lisa, I hear ya on the digital. I couldn't afford film with how many photos I take either. Digital sure makes it nice and helps keep photography/birding fun.

Thanks again, I'll keep trying. :)

BTW loved your site and enjoyed browsing your photos. Nice! :)

Scissortail lol we all have days when we just do n ot hit the spot. I have moments when i feel like a rank beginner lol Looking at your photos it is not that clear to me why they are not sharper. You have excellent light all be in somewhat harsh in places. What exposure metering are you using? Also do you use tracking focus AI servo? This tracks a moving bird and locks on giving a better focus ratio. Though if photographing perching birds take it off and use the single focus mode. Know the limitations of your lens. Use the 300mm to get you closer to the bird instead of relying on cropping.
As far as iso goes 1600 is far too high. For most of your bigger raptors a shutter speed of 1/1600 is fine. iso 400 should easily give u that. Also make sure that the light is showing that you have the camera centre focused. As others have said keep going you are certainly improving!

Thanks Psilo, after checking my camera I had set it on AF mode with one shot set. My AF point selection was on broad range with all points highlighted. I have no idea why I took it off AI Servo or why I had one shot set on it. The two photos posted were taken at ISO 400 with aperture set at 7.1, TV shutter speed says 1/1250 on photo of bird looking at camera. The other photo ISO 400, Aperture at 6.3 and TV shutter speed 1/4000.

I started out taking photos with my Powershot S3 IS camera and did still photos, mostly for very amateur local competitions. A good camera but nothing like my Canon 450D camera. Sure wish I had it at the time even though I don't know very much. I do better at creating a scene and going from there with my subject poses etc. Too bad I can't tell a bird to turn head this way or that, look at me this way, etc..lol. It sure helps when the subject of the photo cooperates. :) Below is a photo of a scene I created..going back in time to the era of panning for gold. It is a photo of my youngest son that we dressed up to fit the time. My son learned quick how to pose and give that certain look I was after. For this shot he is panning for gold with a look on his face like this is my claim ..go find your own. Please remember this shot was taken with my Powershot S3 and not my new camera. I got the 450 D shortly after entering this photo. I got second place, though I do see where the other camera would had improved the shot, with a few details I don't like with the photo. I antiqued the photo to give an old time look.

The other photo is of both my sons in a field setting. Too bad this one was bleached out by sun in background but I do like the mood of the photo. It was also taken with the Powershot S3 camera.

Hopefully I can get this all figured out with the new camera so I can take some really nice photos. Birds, I am finding out is different then taking photos of people,smaller subjects and the scenery, weather conditions don't always cooperate which is driving me nuts. :)

Attachments

• mattcreek.jpg
    mattcreek.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 94
  • mattpaulfieldZ.jpg
    mattpaulfieldZ.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back