• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper 8x32 vs. Pentax 8x32 DCF WP (1 Viewer)

tvcrider

I usually just lurk here in the forums, but I thought I would write up my impressions of two 8x32 binoculars. I am a occasional birder and I own a Pentax 8x32 DCF WP that was purchased in 2000.
For specifics on the Pentax see:
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/32

I recently got the itch to 'upgrade', so I ordered a pair of Vortex Viper 8x32 from EO. I will be the first to admit that I am not an optics guru. I don't have a standardized testing methodology and so please read my comments with that in mind. I should have realized that I don't really have many complaints about the Pentax 8x32 DCF WP. They have served me well.

I demoed the Vipers against the Pentax for about an hour under a bright, but overcast sky. I switched back and forth between both models viewing everything from birds, signs, license plates. flowers, spiders. etc. This is what I found with my eyes:

Vortex Viper 8x32
  • Twist-up eye cups with click settings was nicer than the Pentax's simple pull-out eye cups.
  • Focusing: the focusing wheel is just a bit smoother on the Viper.
  • Close focus: Vortex will focus several feet further in than the Pentax and the DOF at this close-in range seemed greater than that of the Pentax.
  • On my digital scale the Vortex weigh almost 3 full ounces less than the Pentax.
Dis-likes:
  • Overall build quality, fit/finish, was not a good as the Pentax DCF WP 8x32.
  • I wanted to convince myself that the view was superior using the Vortex, but with the exception of the DOF on close focusing I really could not discern a difference between the two pairs.
  • Slower focus: six pulls/pushes with my finger to go from on end of the focusing scale to the other, i.e. 3 ft to infinity.
  • I expected more for my $490 and that is probably my own fault.

Pentax DCF WP 8x32
  • Faster focusing: four pulls/pushes with my finger to go from on end of the focusing scale to the other.
  • Cost: I already own them, so there would be no additional out-of-pocket expenses if I returned the Vortex Viper.
Dis-likes:
  • Close focus: Vortex will focus almost 3 feet closer than the Pentax and the DOF at this close-in range seemed greater than that of the Pentax
  • As stated above, the Vortex Viper eye cups are simply superior to those on the Pentax.

Well if you haven't figured it out yet, the Vipers went back to EO. Yeah, I'm out the return shipping, but I kept $489 in my pocket. I figure it was worth the cost of the demo and side-by-side comparison.

Of course ymmv.

See some other comments about the WP 8x32 I've made before i.e. I found my one better than the SP for sharpness though the color bias is rather colder (bluish ... perhaps an Aluminum mirror coating). It's a rather good bin in a lot of ways.

I've had my 8x32 Vipers for about a month now, and decided this thread was a good opportunity to add my thoughts. Like tvcrider, I'm far removed from being an "optics guru", but hopefully someone can find something useful here.

- Being a full time glasses wearer, I found the 16 mm eye relief to be adequate, but just barely.

- I very much like the contoured strap. I don't plan on using a harness with these binos, and as such, the strap design is a big plus.

- The rainguards are simply too tight. I grew weary of trying to pry them off quickly to look at a bird, and finally replaced them with some unused rainguards from a pair of Nikon Sporters.

- The focus wheel is OK, but no where near as slick as my Nikon 8x42 LX L's. I would say that it is on par with a pair of Monarchs I have. Side note: The LX L's are legendary for smooth focus wheels, but I have a pair of Pentax 8x28 SP's that are every bit as butter smooth as the Nikons!

- The Vipers are bright! As near as I can tell, they are very close to that of my wife's 8x32 LX L's

- Center sharpness is excellent. Again, they are fairly close to the LX L's in that regard. However, the off-axis sharpness drops off considerably. Still, the sweet spot is more than enough to suit me. I had been hoping for better edge-to-edge sharpness. I also compared the Viper sharpess to some 8x42 Monarchs, and as expected they are superior.

- I wouldn't have bothered with the thumb rests, but really don't find them objectionable.

- My eyecups will remain down, but for those who don't wear glasses, they seem to be well designed and of excellent quality.

Overall, I'm quite happy with these binoculars. There are times that I don't feel like lugging my 8x42 LX L's around, but still want a quality view. I really think the 8x32 Vipers fill that niche very nicely. No doubt they will get plenty of use. I think they represent a good, but not great value, and are priced about right.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back