• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Ultima 100 ED Tripod/head help please (1 Viewer)

knuck45

Repost from another forum:

I'm a noob to birding/scoping. I just got an angled Ultima 100 ED spotting scope for a good price on craigslist. I want to use it for birding, target shooting, digiscoping (with a small point and shoot) and maybe some casual stargazing.

Would a Manfrotto 055XDB tripod with a Manfrotto 808RC4 3 way pan tilt head with quick release be a good combination for those activities? I checked the loading limits and both items are rated for over 15 pounds load. I'm not too concerned about the weight of the setup as a whole as I am a big guy and I need the exercise anyway :)

I also have a balancing plate to center the scope over the tripod. It's hard to tell from pictures on the Manfrotto site but it looks like a quick release plate bolts to the scope or balancing plate (if needed). Does that plate come with the head?

Thanks in advance.

More, no it doesn't, it is a 2008 or so version, the tripod fixture is solid. My main use will be for birding and digiscoping, so if my original tripod/head selection is not good for stargazing I will still be happy. I am trying to keep the cost of the tripod/head under $250.

Thanks

Moore, can you tell me if the 3 way pan/tilt quick release head is the best type for birding? I think I am confident with other aspects of my selection. I want to pull the trigger on this before January 15, some rebates from Manfrotto expire then.

Frank, I took your advice and ended up with a Manfrotto 128 RC fluid head; I also got a Manfrotto 055XB tripod. I was a little worried about the 128 handling the Celestron but I took it out birding last Saturday and it handled it just fine, and looks like it will for years to come.

Thanks for your input!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back