• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tarifa 14-21 March 2015 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
We will be visiting Tarifa, southern Spain during the 3rd week in March and I am looking for advice about the best place to see the raptor migration from. Any other birding sites in the area that you know off would also be appreciated. We will have a car. Is it advisable to take my scope or will a long lense do?

Thank you for your help.

The migration routes are dependant to a degree on the wind direction and so you move around different sites at the Straits depending on where the migration is. An easterly pushes raptors to the west of the Straits and vice versa. Last spring I found Tarifa sea wall, Cazalla watchpoint and the Mirador good in calm or easterly conditions, and Getares good in a westerly. The Mirador swarms with tourists, but the views of raptors are exceptional.

You will need to take your scope both for identifying distant raptors and for general birding in the area.

Tarifa Raptor Watch

Hi Andy

I was part of the MIGRES raptor/stork count team for SEO a few years ago and, although there were others, our official stations were:

Cazalla, Algorrobo and Trafico.

I'm sure you can google them for locations.

Although the Spring movements are more spread out than the Autumn passage, many birds will still pass directly over head so are of course the best places to spend time.

But it's also helpful to have others around and I found most people were very sociable and friendly. I'm not sure if they do an official count in Spring but we as counters were always happy to help people with IDs too (as long as we weren't asked as we were counting of course).

I'm sure you plan to spend time on other birds of the area too so I recommend you find the thread on BF for the Tarifa Gibraltar area and download this very useful local guide (Free and in English and Spanish):

GUIA DE AVES DEL ESTRECHO

All the best

I recommend you find the thread on BF for the Tarifa Gibraltar area and download this very useful local guide (Free and in English and Spanish): GUIA DE AVES DEL ESTRECHO

For this check the "Spain including the Canary & Balearic Isles" thread I think under 'Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda'

All the best

Many thanks Graham and Stephen,
Sorry about the delay in answering, my internet and telephone were down over the weekend.

A few years ago we went to Andalucia and stayed a week in Tarifa; it was in the autumn though but a brilliant birding trip. See this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=183323

I would agree that Cazilla and Trafico are excellent. John Cantelo, BF member, has extensive knowledge of this area and has written detailed notes with directions, which are excellent. Do a search of his postings and you will find lots of really useful information.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back