• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk at Addis Ababa airport (1 Viewer)

akjackson1

A couple weeks ago I had a layover in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Amongst many doves and pigeons I snapped this image through the window of what appears to be some sort of hawk. Head seems to be lighter than the rest of the body. Fish Eagle would seem unlikely at an airport. Any other ideas? Sorry for the terrible pictures, it was quite distant and taken through glass.

The last image I'm unsure is the same bird, but it "might" be.

Attachments

• _DSC1077-2.jpg
    _DSC1077-2.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 61
  • _DSC1075-2.jpg
    _DSC1075-2.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 39
  • _DSC1081.jpg
    _DSC1081.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Pic three clearly shows the classic tail shape of Black Kite, (or Y-B as Niels says) and the broad 'rounded' primaries which are a noticeable feature in flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back