• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When an eclipse isn't an eclipse?? or is it?? (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

This might appear to be a silly question but I've been wondering about the phase known as the eclipse in birds.
I know that this occurs as they are entering the breeding season and again at the end of the summer.
What I wanted to know is are both phases called eclipse or just the Spring one? And if not what is the other one called?
I hope someone can be of assistance?
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth,

The term 'eclipse' is used mainly for Ducks, where the males shed their bright plumage after breeding (late summer moult). The reason is that, unlike most birds who shed their flight feathers in rotation, so that they can still fly, Ducks tend to shed the flight feathers in a simultaneous (or near simultaneous) moult and this makes then temporarily poor fliers or in some cases (Shelduck i.e.) flightless. This, with bright plumage, would make them more vulnerable to predators, so they also go into a dowdy female-like plumage until the flight feathers are regrown.

Shelduck are especially interesting as many of them do a pre-moult migration in Autumn and gather in large flightless flocks on the mudflats off Heligoland.

Bill.

Hi all,
Of course, eclipse drakes are a birdwatchers favourite puzzle :-O
Give me a large lake full of a multitude of eclipse drakes of several species and I'm in heaven? :eek!:
I think the shelduck are very sporting, jiggering off to moult so that we don't have yet another plumage to learn ;)

Bill,
Peeps are to die for....literally. Did it have dark legs ..or were they pale but mud spattered.....is the bill as long as the lores...shorter? ...longer? Primary projection..positive or negative? Now the tertials... are they notched, wavy, buff fringed??????? aaaaarrrrgghh gotta go lie down.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back