• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BD 10-15x40 Variable Binoculars Review (2 Viewers)

Atomic Chicken

Registered with the D.O.E.
Greetings!

It's been a while since I've done a review on this forum, as most of my disposable income for the last year or so has been spent on cars, guns, and flashlights. It's not that I haven't enjoyed my binoculars and birdwatching as much - it's just that I've found very few binoculars lately that have impressed me to the point of wanting to buy them recently.

As you all probably know pretty well by now, my preference is for 7x and 8x optics, preferably in a 32mm configuration. My Leica Trinovid BN 7x42 and Minox BD 8x32 end up being used more than almost all other binoculars in my collection combined - with my Nikon HG 10x25 and Pentax SP 10x50 occasionally getting pulled out when I want more power or when a bit of astronomy is in order. I consider 10x and higher optics to be somewhat "special purpose", to be used only under certain (in my mind) well-defined situations. Given this, it has been my opinion for several months now that the next pair of binoculars I would buy would probably be another pair of 8x32 binoculars (my all-time favorite configuration) or (if the optics gods would be so kind!) a yet-to-be-announced pair of 7x32's by one of the high-end manufacturers.

It was not to be.

The first pair of binoculars that caught my attention (and finally opened my wallet!) was, unbelievably, a VARIABLE POWER pair by Minox - and a high-power (10x-15x) pair at that! Who would have guessed?

I found this gem of modern optics at a safari outfitter store - the last place I would expect to find state-of-the-art cutting edge optics. Along with the usual small assortment of Bushnell, Minox, Brunton, and the occasional scattered Zeiss glass, I noticed a rather tallish pair of distinctive looking binoculars toward the back of the case. They were labeled "Minox 10-15x40" on the label, and had a right-eyepiece graduated adjustment collar where the diopter adjustment is typically found. This adjustment collar has a series of evenly-spaced raised rubber rectangles spaced approx. 1/4" apart for easy and grippy turning. The center-mounted focus wheel (which I eventually figured out doubled as the diopter adjust) has 2 rows of these same rubber grips around it. I immediately asked the store owner if I could examine them, and if I could take them outside for testing. He retrieved them for me.

The first thing I did was an in-store ergonomic examination. I handled them. They were a bit heavy, somewhat similar in weight to a pair of Leica Duovids - but amazingly well-balanced considering their weight. They felt substantial, NOT bulky or clumsy. The rubber armoring is thick and grippy - and beautifully molded with curves and clean, modern appearance. Everything about these binoculars says "class" and "precision". The hinge design is rather interesting - it is a VERY rugged two-hinged design with the center focus wheel mounted between the two hinges and connected to the hinge section closest to the eyepieces. The focus wheel, power-adjust wheel, and left eyepiece spacer located opposite the power-adjust wheel are all done in attractive gunmetal gray color, and are solid metal except for the rectangular rubber "grip dimples" described above. There are no thumb-rests underneath the barrels (a HUGE plus in my book - I hate those things!) and there are no raised grip sections of any type along the length of the barrels (something I could take or leave - I like the Trinovid body for that reason but I don't really find myself missing it if a pair of binoculars doesn't have it). Overall, these just feel GREAT to hold and look like a million bucks.

As should be expected with a pair of high-power optics, there is a tripod-mounting thread on the front of the front hinge assembly (the hinge closest to the objective lenses) - with a very attractive plastic screw-in protector. The rear hinge face has another non-removeable plastic circle with the Minox logo on it. The neckstrap attachments are thick and rugged, mounted about 1/4" in front of the eyepiece/body junction. They appear to be some kind of aluminum insert or extrusion from the optics tubes, I can't really tell because of how the rubber armoring seamlessly and beautifully surrounds them.

The eyecups are twist-out helical design, with 2 intermediary detent positions (making 4 total positions possible...) and are SO smooth you would think they were made of oiled teflon! The detents are very noticeable and lock fairly solidly. The eyecups themselves are made of semi-hard black rubber with more little grippy rectangles spaced about 3/16" apart - but they are much smaller grip-divots than the ones on the focus and power-adjust knobs. I found my own eyesight to like the 3rd position the best - the final 4th position caused some field blackout as did the 1st (fully collapsed) position.

The diopter adjust gave me problems. At first, I couldn't figure out where it was, until I noticed that the focus wheel pushed forward to reveal the calibration marks of the diopter setting. After figuring out where the diopter was, I couldn't get it to work AT ALL - until I finally figured out that it was the LEFT eye it was adjusting, not the right eye as most other binoculars are set up for. Once I overcame my two points of ignorance, everything worked perfectly - I had the diopter set within a few seconds, collapsed the focus knob again, and was ready to see what these binoculars could do!

I used a telephone pole near the store entrance as a steady-rest for my testing. The first thing I did, of course, was grab onto that enticing power-adjust wheel and crank it back and forth! This produced an interesting effect. Not at ALL what I was expecting!

The field of view, seen as a light filled circle inside the binocular body by the eyes, changed size as the power-adjust wheel was rotated. The perceived circle became BIGGER as the power increased, and SMALLER as the power decreased. Note that while the ACTUAL field of view was getting smaller as the power increased, the size of the viewed circle of light was actually growing larger! Very interesting effect... a little disconcerting, but not off-putting or negative in any way - just different. The best description I can give is that it was somewhat odd to be seeing more of the terrain I was looking at through a smaller circle, then seeing it zoom onto a smaller piece of the terrain, while the whole image got bigger! The actual field of view (measured in ft/1000yds or degrees) seemed somewhat small compared to most 10x binoculars I'm used to using, but this is the norm for any high-end variable-power binocular and is to be expected. Even Leica Duovids are somewhat field-restricted compared to equivalent Trinovid or Ultravid designs - I suspect this is an inescapeable (at least for now) optical design limitation imposed by variable-power lens systems.

Having said that, I must admit that the restricted field of view is a MAGNIFICENT field of view in these optics. Edge-to-edge performance is the best I've ever seen in ANY brand/model of binoculars - I could detect absolutely ZERO edge softening or field geometry anomalies regardless of power setting. This is nothing short of an optical miracle, in my opinion, considering that the only other high-end binocular I've ever examined that even comes close is the Nikon HG 10x25 - and even it has slight edge softening at a distance of perhaps 2-4% of the FOV diameter. I could detect NO edge softening ANYWHERE in the Minox optics - it was tack-sharp all the way to the edge of the viewing circle!

Clarity and color rendition are very, very good. Equal to any Leica I've looked through - with the possible exception of Trinovid 7x42 and 8x42's which seem to have a vibrant color-life all their own. Resolution seems superb, although I have not yet done arcsecond resolution testing (I'll do that within a week and post the results). Brightness is very good, even in low-light conditions. In short, optical performance is superb - which is what you would expect from ED glass made in the same factory as Zeiss optics (the Schott glassworks). I would NOT recommend long-term viewing through the 15x setting without some kind of tripod or steady rest, the 10 minutes or so I gave 15x free-handing without support gave me a headache and made my hands jitter a bit afterward. Stabilized, on the otherhand, the 15x setting is a sight to behold - I LOVE it!

After testing, I walked back into the shop and handed the owner hundred-dollar bills until he was satisfied - I could not imagine going home without taking these binoculars along.

In closing, I'd like to say that while these binoculars are not for everyone, they truly are some of the best high-power optics I've yet seen - especially considering the price (less than 1/2 what Duovids are currently selling for!). The fact that they are variable-power binoculars is just icing on an already amazing cake - I highly recommend these optics for high-power fans who might want to consider leaving the spotting scope home for a change!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Thanks for such a detailed and interesting review ! :t:
How do you find the apparent field of view ? Looking at specs on the Minox website it seems that the AFOV will be very small. Isn't there a 'tunnel' quality to the view ? I guess this might not be so much a problem if they're used as an alternative to a small spotting scope in conjunction with other bins.

80 m / 1.000 m, 4,6° (at 8x), = AFOV 36.8 degrees
65 m / 1.000 m, 3,7° (at 10x) = AFOV 37 degrees

EDITED 3rd Sept:
The figures above are incorrect. The actual figures for the 8-14x 40 model are stated on the Minox UK website and reproduced below. This gives an apparent field of view from 36.8 degrees to 51.8 degrees which is not too bad for a variable power bino. The 10-15x model reviewed by Bawko isn't yet available in the UK.

Technical Data MINOX BD 8-14 x 40 BR ED:

Magnification: 8x through to 14x
Objective lens diameter: 40 mm
Exit pupil: 5.00 mm at 8x
2.85 mm at 14x
Field of view: 80 m / 1.000 m, 4.6° (at 8x)
65 m / 1.000 m, 3.7° (at 14x)
Eye relief: 23.5 mm at 8x
19.5 mm at 14x
Close focus distance: 4 m
Over run Diopter adjustment: +/- 2 dpt
Twilight number: 17.9 at 8x
23.7 at 14x
Operating Temperature: -10° - +50° C
Waterproof: yes
Height, Depth, Width: 168 x 128 x 56 mm
Weight: approx. 895 g

Last edited:
Greetings!

solentbirder said:
Thanks for such a detailed and interesting review ! :t:
How do you find the apparent field of view ? Looking at specs on the Minox website it seems that the AFOV will be very small. Isn't there a 'tunnel' quality to the view ? I guess this might not be so much a problem if they're used as an alternative to a small spotting scope in conjunction with other bins.

80 m / 1.000 m, 4,6° (at 8x), = AFOV 36.8 degrees
65 m / 1.000 m, 3,7° (at 10x) = AFOV 37 degrees

First off, as a correction to your post, the actual FOV figures for these binoculars are:

73 m / 1000 m, 4.2° (at 10x) = AFOV 42.21°
61 m / 1000 m, 3.5° (at 15x) = AFOV 52.71°

To be brutally honest with you, I find the field of view to be barely tolerable on the low-end of the magnification range (10x) and somewhat reasonable on the upper-end (15x). I will probably keep these binoculars set at somewhere between 12X and 15X for most of their usable life, as I find the 10x setting to have a somewhat unpleasant tunnel-like quality to it.

Again, as I stated in my review, restricted FOV is to be expected in ANY high-end variable power binocular... at least with the current level of technology development. I would not denigrate a pair of binoculars like the Minox 10-15x40 because of this factor alone - if it were combined with other problems such as geometric abberations or a dim view (as is SO common with inexpensive variables...) then it would be a deal killer. However, the Minox have SUCH a lovely image, I'm willing to live with a restricted FOV as a tradeoff for the added flexibility that the variable power offers.

I feel that the Minox offerings (they also make an 8x-14x model) are probably the first truly optically acceptable and utilitarian variable-power binoculars on the market, including even the limited and more difficult to switch Leica Duovids (having 2 settings and VERY limited and quite touchy intermediate magnifications). I'm not trying to upset Duovid owners - I have come SO close to buying a pair myself several times in the past... I guess I just kept waiting and hoping that something better would come along. I think these are the better product I've been waiting for - I'm happy with my purchase and happy to recommend these binoculars to others as well.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
Hi Bawko,
Thanks for the clarification. I now realise I confused the specification with the 8x -14x model (the only variable mag. model I could see on their website). The model you have sounds very interesting. I wonder what it'd be like for star-gazing ?
All the best
John

Last edited:
excellent bawko..very informative

are you planning on reviewing the new minox HG binoculars anytime soon?

matt

Just in case there's any confusion (maybe assisted by me !), there are two variable power binoculars by Minox.

According the the Minox UK website the recommended retail prices are as follows. It's interesting that the 10-15x is cheaper than the 8-14x. I wonder if the 10-15x has ED glass like the 8-14x. Even though the website says the 10-15x is 'Coming in August' I haven't seen any sign of it yet.

Minox 8-14x40 BR ED Varios 62145 £ 899.00
COMING in August - Minox 10-15x40 BR Varios 62152 £ 659.00

Minox UK website: http://www.minoxuk.co.uk/varios.htm

Greetings!

solentbirder said:
Just in case there's any confusion (maybe assisted by me !), there are two variable power binoculars by Minox.

According the the Minox UK website the recommended retail prices are as follows. It's interesting that the 10-15x is cheaper than the 8-14x. I wonder if the 10-15x has ED glass like the 8-14x. Even though the website says the 10-15x is 'Coming in August' I haven't seen any sign of it yet.

Minox 8-14x40 BR ED Varios 62145 £ 899.00
COMING in August - Minox 10-15x40 BR Varios 62152 £ 659.00

Minox UK website: http://www.minoxuk.co.uk/varios.htm

The pair I evaluated definitely ARE the ED glass version, which interesting enough is a different part number than the part number you listed above. The Minox part number for the pair I evaluated is 62162, and are designated "BD 10-15x40 ED BR" in the literature supplied with the binoculars.

I'm guessing the less expensive binoculars you listed above are probably a non-ED version that is due to come out soon... I think they released the ED versions first.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
...The pair I evaluated definitely ARE the ED glass version, which interesting enough is a different part number than the part number you listed above. The Minox part number for the pair I evaluated is 62162, and are designated "BD 10-15x40 ED BR" in the literature supplied with the binoculars...

Very interesting. So this raises the possibility that there are actually three models. Perhaps Davem of Minox UK can throw some light on this if he reads this post ?

Hi all,

there are only 2 versions of the Varios.

The existing 8-14x40 BR ED at about £899.00 (code 62145) and the new (we've still yet to see any in the UK) 10-15x40 BR (NOT ED despite what the German-produced literature says) at about £659.00 (code 62162).

Minox UK website code is wrong. Sorry - will be changing that in a bit and also adding the first review of the new 8.5x43 HGs.... :t:

Dave.

davem said:
Hi all,

The existing 8-14x40 BR ED at about £899.00 (code 62145) and the new (we've still yet to see any in the UK) 10-15x40 BR (NOT ED despite what the German-produced literature says) at about £659.00 (code 62162).

Minox UK website code is wrong. Sorry - will be changing that in a bit and also adding the first review of the new 8.5x43 HGs.... :t:

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I'd be happy to review the 8-14x40 BR ED if you'd like to loan it to me for a few weeks ! 3:)

Greetings!

matt green said:
excellent bawko..very informative
are you planning on reviewing the new minox HG binoculars anytime soon?

matt

Thank you!

Yes... I'd like very much to do an HG review - but the only pair I've seen locally is the 8x33 model, and at the time I saw them I did not have the time to do more than give them a quick look-through. My initial impression was "Bright!" - but again, I just didn't have the time (I was late for a dinner appointment already...) and couldn't give them the examination that I wanted to.

Next time I'm at that retailer (at the other end of town, I only end up there about once a month), I'll give them a thorough examination and write a review. Hopefully, they will also have other HG models in stock next time I visit.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Greetings!

davem said:
Hi all,

Dave.

Wow!! So you're telling me that the pair I evaluated and purchased are NOT using ED glass? you could have fooled me! I have a low serial number pair of these binoculars, one of the first 20 produced, is is possible they made a few of the first production with ED glass? The brighness, sharpness, and color rendition is SO good on these I'm having a hard time accepting that they are non-ED glass...

In any case, the model number on mine is DEFINITELY the 62162 number, and the accompanying literature does say ED in the part number, although from what you are saying the literature is misprinted?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Wow!! So you're telling me that the pair I evaluated and purchased are NOT using ED glass?

Yes. ED only really comes into its own with magnifications over and about 14-15x (hence its main use in telescopes rather than bins) and to use 'standard' multicoated lenses also cuts down on the weight as the ED glass is several times more dense than normal glass.

Atomic Chicken said:
I have a low serial number pair of these binoculars, one of the first 20 produced, is is possible they made a few of the first production with ED glass?

No. Definitely not. Sorry!

Atomic Chicken said:
In any case, the model number on mine is DEFINITELY the 62162 number, and the accompanying literature does say ED in the part number, although from what you are saying the literature is misprinted?

The model number of the 10-15x40 BR Varios is 62162. They do not use ED glass. It seems that Minox Germany missed taking this out of the specs when they printed the new brochure. Sorry!

ATB,

Dave.

If your two eyes are very different, then you end up adjusting the diopter quite a bit in these. I think it is better to adjust it at high power and then just ignore the slight out of focus problem at low power.

They have some use. Not really as good as a telescope, so even with a tripod, it does not compare to the 25x you get with most scopes at low power. A 10x-30x could substitute for a scope at times.

Last edited:
Hi Bawko,
I have recently put a message on the forum about Kamakura bins. I am particularly interested in the 10x42's. I made the point that they normally do not market (until recently I believe) in their own name but I suspect from your description that they be the actual manufacturer of the Minox 10--15X 40 ones you tested. I also believed they were ED glass.
Know anything more??

Regards
Pete O

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back