• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji F30 - mixed thoughts. (1 Viewer)

Looks like the F30 is a go-er then!

Thanks to John, David and Neil for many useful comments on digiscoping and cameras. At 54 yrs of age, maybe life is too short to struggle with the wrong equipment and I should get an F30 before I go to Algarve next month! One question though - when zooming, does the external length of the lens change? If so, I wonder how I would manage with my Swaro AT80 and the Swaro swing up bracket? If the lens shortens and lengthens I imagine there would be problems with stray light getting in at certain zoom settings and I would have to screw out the eye relief cup on the scope to prevent this. Then I'd have to screw it down to swing the camera out of the way. I have a Fuji F440 (4 Mp) but this suffers from vignetting just the same as my Olympus!!! Will the F30 be better????

Some months ago I posted that I was trying a portable DVD player as an aid to framing and focussing. Well.....the screen on the player died and I got my money back. Re-investing in a better camera now seems like the best option!

Benderloch said:
Thanks to John, David and Neil for many useful comments on digiscoping and cameras. At 54 yrs of age, maybe life is too short to struggle with the wrong equipment and I should get an F30 before I go to Algarve next month! One question though - when zooming, does the external length of the lens change? If so, I wonder how I would manage with my Swaro AT80 and the Swaro swing up bracket? If the lens shortens and lengthens I imagine there would be problems with stray light getting in at certain zoom settings and I would have to screw out the eye relief cup on the scope to prevent this. Then I'd have to screw it down to swing the camera out of the way. I have a Fuji F440 (4 Mp) but this suffers from vignetting just the same as my Olympus!!! Will the F30 be better????

Some months ago I posted that I was trying a portable DVD player as an aid to framing and focussing. Well.....the screen on the player died and I got my money back. Re-investing in a better camera now seems like the best option!

Benderloch

I can't say for sure as my F30 is on order but if I remember correctly from playing in the shop the lens moves no more than 1cm between zooms - I think it retracts and then lengthens again but I'm sure someone on here with one will give you the actual change.

I have not noticed stray light being a problem with little digicams on universal adapters but I rarely set up in the sun as seeing the screen for focusing is much more of a problem.
The F30 lens has hardly any vignetting at wide zoom 8 mm (see attached )and it disappears about 11 mm. The lens doesn't move very much when zooming so you should be able to set it up easily. Neil.

Attachments

• test.iso800  DSCF1440.jpg
    test.iso800 DSCF1440.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
On the Fuji F30

The lens is at it's furthest out, on it's minimum and maximum zoom.
At half zoom it has retracted by 3 to 4mm, that is the most it moves.

Hope that makes sense (it's getting late, time for bed) :gn:

Malc

Neil said:
I have not noticed stray light being a problem with little digicams on universal adapters but I rarely set up in the sun as seeing the screen for focusing is much more of a problem.
The F30 lens has hardly any vignetting at wide zoom 8 mm (see attached )and it disappears about 11 mm. The lens doesn't move very much when zooming so you should be able to set it up easily. Neil.

My! I thought 3X zoom cameras had no vignetting, what a let down. Ernie

I think from memory the Scopetronix EZ-Pix 1 doesn't all0w the F30 to get as close to the eyepiece as the SRB-Griturn adapter so it possibly would eliminate the vignetting too. I hope to replace my deceased F30 soon and I'll test it out on that adapter. Neil.

erniehatt said:
My! I thought 3X zoom cameras had no vignetting, what a let down. Ernie

Hi Ernie,
I use the Fuji f11 which is a prior model to the f30 on a Kowa TSN4 and I do,nt get any vignetting. Regards.
Stan.

Malc,
I forgot to lock down one of the legs of the tripod and it collapsed on me with the camera on the scope. The scope was fine but the F30 casing split open. Neil.

Thanks Neil, very easily done. I suppose it was better the F30 rather than the Scope, but still expensive.
I only have the F30, and am very pleased with it so far, the battery lasts for a long time, although I have bought a spare for when we go to Spain in about 8 weeks time.
Have been thinking how I can adapt the tripod or monopod, to be able to use for digiscoping, while sat in the car. I can foresee lots of missed chances of pictures if I cant use it from the car.
I know you can get clamps that fit on the window, but being in a hire car, I do not want to chance breaking the window glass. Could be very easy to operate the electric window by mistake etc. ;)

Malc

Malc,
Try with beanbag.
I rented a car with sliding rear doors on my last trip to Florida. I was able to lie on the floor and open the door quietly to shoot with the D2x. I also would open the front door on the opposite side to the bird and set up the tripod there.
But the best way is to set up and just wait. Neil.

Window clamps

Have been thinking how I can adapt the tripod or monopod, to be able to use for digiscoping, while sat in the car. I can foresee lots of missed chances of pictures if I cant use it from the car.
I know you can get clamps that fit on the window, but being in a hire car, I do not want to chance breaking the window glass. Could be very easy to operate the electric window by mistake etc. ;)

You're probably wise to avoid clamping onto a hire car oh Feathered One! so far I've been OK with my car, but can't take pics using window clamp as I have an angled scope and there isn't enough headroom for me to get my eye onto the screen! Of course, if only I had a camera with a swivelling screen this might not be a problem.

Wonderful thing this internet forum eh? WELL DONE BIRD FORUM AND THANKS. ;)

Benderloch

In an earlier post you wrote................

"At 54 yrs of age, maybe life is too short to struggle with the wrong equipment and I should get an F30 before I go... "

Did you get one!. As I guess it will be superceded soon, not sure how long they keep production up.

Neil

Have never tried a bean bag before, will probably make a demo up and go sit in the car, and try it. Might need a few more hands attached, holding the scope with one, focus with the other, press the cable release with........hang on, I have only two hands. ;)

Malc

Feathered one said:

Malc

Malc, if you've got a tripod where the legs will swing out freely (or at several positions with locking stops) you can usually rig it up on the passenger side OK, one leg in the footwell, one against the door or just to the right of it and one either between the seats or around the handbrake area. I drive around all the time abroad in this position and just fit the scope to it when necessary. If your tripod has struts connected to the centre column try undoing them and see if this works out.

Regards

John

Neil said:
I think from memory the Scopetronix EZ-Pix 1 doesn't all0w the F30 to get as close to the eyepiece as the SRB-Griturn adapter so it possibly would eliminate the vignetting too. I hope to replace my deceased F30 soon and I'll test it out on that adapter. Neil.

Neil, I was just being a little facetious, it goes to prove what I said in a resent post, (another look at the 600 series) about having the correct setup, every adapter, camera, scope combination, are not necessarally the best. Ernie

Thank you John

Yes I have the Manfrotto 055mfv. and you can lock the legs in several positions, so will try that as well, making sure that the "other half" :gh: is sat in the back seat.

Which reminds me I should have made her a cup of tea about an hour ago. Dog house again !!! and it's freezing out.

Malc

Has anyone on BF got any actual experience of using a Fuji F30 with either a Swaro ATS 65 or ATS 80 and how are you doing?

I had a frustrating time in Exeter yesterday trying many different slim compacts and none of them seemed to be anywhere as good as the Coolpix 4500 which is a drag as I am sick of the 'chunkiness' of the Coolpix 4500 and long for a super slim compact I can slip in my pocket as well as make for greater portability when going out on the bus or abroad.

Andrew,
Have a look at this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=63650&page=3&pp=25 which uses the Swarovski STS80HD and the F30. As you can see from all the other threads on the F30 it's the main model being discussed at the moment, although not the only one. The main thing you miss after the CP4500 is the rotatable screen but the screen itself is a big improvement and it's speed blows the 4500 away. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back