• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FSB-6 + P5000 + ED82 = good (1 Viewer)

revs45

punk birder
just got back from the post office with a package from Japan:cool:
inside was a Nikon FSB-6 adapter w/ cable release, i began drooling almost instantly.
can only say that it is a sexy aparatus, well constructed and looks durable.
it has been custom formed to accept the P5000 camera and in fact threads onto the camera for an extremely snug fit.
it came with an adapter ring that must be attached to the bracket when using 30x wide DS eyepiece. i promptly put it on and finally was able to try out the camera that i have had for a whole week now and hidden away as i continued to use my trusty old P4 in the field.
did i say i was already impressed with the adapter? well i am.
won't be able to go out shooting birds till the weekend but did do some comparison shots indoors shooting the same scene in afternoon light with both P4 and P5000.
thankfully, the P5000 outperformed the P4 in every regard when strapped to my ED82.
i was concerned about the slower speed of the P5000 compared to P4 but actually any difference was marginal, i didn't notice any obvious difference between the two in that regard.
i can deal with the speed no problem.
typically in the field i shoot at ISO100 w/ A-priority in macro mode.
used the same settings on the new camera and i can't wait to take it outdoors for the real test.
the FSB-6 bracket set me back $120 US and was one of only two such brackets for sale on ebay from a reputable Japanese seller.
good deal in my opinion (at least if you own a P5000)

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
just wanted to show the raw un-retouched or colour-corrected or sharpened shots from a session yesterday.
no cropping except of course the two full size shots.
it was a tough day birding, while there was some sun there were also many clouds and it was quite windy.
still, using the setup for the first time was a joy, the cable release works incredibly well, i don't know if it's because of the angle or the nifty cable release holder that keeps it from swayng about but i didn't have one single cable release malfunction like i had so many times before.

if anyone wants data, i'll supply it after another session birding today. : )

Attachments

• DSCN9023.jpg
    DSCN9023.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN9061.jpg
    DSCN9061.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN9218.jpg
    DSCN9218.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 173
one last one from yesterday.
really love how secure the camera is now that's it's threaded to the bracket.

Attachments

• DSCN8964.jpg
    DSCN8964.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 203
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back