• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon CoolPix P300 + FSB-8!!!! (1 Viewer)

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
I've been on holiday for the last 3mos so have not kept up with the new offerings but it looks Nikon just jumped back into the game with a digiscoping friendly P300 Coolpix PSAM camera AND a new dedicated FSB-8 adapter! Both should be available in Japan later this month.

I have not been a fan of Nikon P&S cameras for awhile as their GUI is generally pretty lousy (tradition continues according to the DPReview preview) along with their poky focusing and continuous shooting speeds. No RAW, but I found there is never enough dynamic range to play with anyway). This looks like it could be the new camera for Nikon FS users.

Last edited:
P300 Digiscoping

Today I went for a run down to the Focus on Imaging Show in Birmingham where Nikon had a stand to take a look at the P300.

I took along my Swarovski AT80HD (the old grey body scope) with a 20x60 zoom eyepiece. Although the cameras were tethered to the counters which made testing a bit of a challenge I managed to carry out some basic tests hand holding the camera.

With the 20x60 eyepiece, I had to zoom fairly close to the full telephoto to get rid of vignetting, but at least it is possible. I'd hoped that the vignetting would disappear closer to the mid zoom range, but it is at least viable, and with an eyepiece better suited to it this may be improved further.

There is no lens surround screw thread for adapters etc with this camera unlike previous Coolpix's, so an adapter will need to use the tripod mount at the base of the camera.

For me it was an inconclusive look at the camera in fairly difficult circumstances. I'm now thinking that I should perhaps compare the new Nikon with the Canon S95 and see where that leaves me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back