• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Grouse, Osprey, Black Guillemot and Avocet – My grand tour of North Wales (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I had a great day today. It all started at 5:15am, when I was booked onto a RSPB Black Grouse walk at Coed Llandegla, near Wrexham. It was still dark when we reached the hide, but soon after first light, we spotted our first male Black Grouse, and by the time we left at 7:30am, we had seen 8 leking males and 5 females.

Next I headed for Porthmadog and the Osprey watch point at Glasglyn. Here I found two birds on the nest, somewhat distant, but a great sight non-the-less. Also in this area, at least 27 Whooper Swans against the spectacular backdrop of Snowdon (see photo).

It was still barely 11am, so I decided to head for South Stack on Anglesey. The cliffs were completely deserted of sea birds, except for a few Fulmars and Gulls, but I was told that the first Puffins have returned, but are best seen in the mornings. I saw a couple of Choughs, about 30 Sand Martins, a few Swallows, a few Stonechats and a Raven, and best of all a Hooded Crow.

On the way back from South Stack, I called in at Holyhead harbour to look for Black Guilemot. This was probably the highlight of the day for me, as I saw 5 birds, including 2 displaying quite close. My best Black Guillies for many years.

Finally I headed for Conwy RSPB and saw 5 Avocets and some spectacular Red-breasted Mergansers to complete a great day.

Attachments

• hoodie south stack 04-04-09.jpg
    hoodie south stack 04-04-09.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Glasglyn3 04-04-09.jpg
    Glasglyn3 04-04-09.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 197
  • SleepingRBMerg.jpg
    SleepingRBMerg.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 157
seems you had a nice day colin
i'm heading to wales at the end of may so hopefully the cliffs at south stack will be full by then.
do you think the black grouse display will be over by then and if it is would it be worth trying to find some anyway i hear they are hard to find
cheers

Excellent Colin
I love reading about others' days out, and yours sounds like a good one.
I'll need to find some time to get out and "bird" properly.

Ian

seems you had a nice day colin
i'm heading to wales at the end of may so hopefully the cliffs at south stack will be full by then.
do you think the black grouse display will be over by then and if it is would it be worth trying to find some anyway i hear they are hard to find
cheers

If you want to see Black Grouse leking, ideally you want to be at the right place in Feb, March or April. The end of May is a bit late in my opinion. Also, you really need to be at the lek sites for first light. At the moment that's approx 6am. At the end of May it's more like 4am!

However, the guide on Saturday told me that they can be seen leking at any time of year, and any time of day, it's just that you're much more likely to see them in early spring and in the morning, because obviously spring is the breeding season, and there is much less disturbance at the lek sites from walkers and birds of prey etc. at first light. I'm not convinced about that myself......

I once saw a male Black Grouse in the Cairngorms at midday in May, but it was pure luck. I wasn't looking for them. Despite what the guide said, I think that you will be wasting your time going to a lek site at the end of May at anytime other than first light, and even then you'll need quite a bit of luck.

South Stack on the otherhand, should be outstanding at the end of May,

If you want to see Black Grouse leking, ideally you want to be at the right place in Feb, March or April. The end of May is a bit late in my opinion. Also, you really need to be at the lek sites for first light. At the moment that's approx 6am. At the end of May it's more like 4am!

However, the guide on Saturday told me that they can be seen leking at any time of year, and any time of day, it's just that you're much more likely to see them in early spring and in the morning, because obviously spring is the breeding season, and there is much less disturbance at the lek sites from walkers and birds of prey etc. at first light. I'm not convinced about that myself......

I once saw a male Black Grouse in the Cairngorms at midday in May, but it was pure luck. I wasn't looking for them. Despite what the guide said, I think that you will be wasting your time going to a lek site at the end of May at anytime other than first light, and even then you'll need quite a bit of luck.

South Stack on the otherhand, should be outstanding at the end of May,

thanks colin
i thought as much i will see how much time i have to spend on what will probably be a wild grouse chase
but definately looking forward to south stack and the rest of angelsea
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back