• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ontario ID Guide (1 Viewer)

I've just come back after spending three weeks there birding with my daughter who lives not far from Ottawa. She uses the Sibley field guide to the Birds of Eastern North America. I found it to be an excellent book and would recommend it to anyone birding in the region.

Lewis

Can anyone recommend an identification guide book for birds in southern Ontario Canada?
I really like the National Geographic Guide - covers all of North America, not just Ontario, but you never know, you may end up going somewhere ... anyway, it's not that much bigger than a regional guide (they do exist, but I don't find them to be very good).

Peter C.

You definitely want a all-North America guide for birding in Southern Ontario. Due to its position on the continent, it's particularly rich in rarities and accidentals during migration, and one of the Ontario-only guides would actually be a more of a handicap than an asset. The Sibley and National Geographic are both excellent guides.

The Sibley book is fantastic, it already helped me identify several birds I saw in my yard. And the illustrations are amazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back