• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nitrogen purged or not (1 Viewer)

treepie44

Hello i was looking into bying one a stiener merlin.I like everything about it exept that it is not nitrogen purged,it is however waterproof.The peregrines are waterproof and nitrogen purged but they cost a little more than what i can afford.Is it enough that the bins are waterproof or will they fog up because they are not nitrogen purged?

Unless you're intending to use them regulary under very extreme conditions I don't think you need to worry. Straight-forward waterproofing should serve you well. There are many top-class binoculars that are not waterproof such as the Zeiss 7x42 Classic, Zeiss 8x56 Classic, Nikon SE range and so on.
Good luck !

There is various levels of waterproofing when it comes to binoculars. You need to contact Steiner and get the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) assigned to the bins you're interested in.

I'll respond back later today with a web address that will give you more info. and insight into the JIS rating system.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back