• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - White / Pied wagtail (1 Viewer)

Aiden

Hi, Can anyone help me, how can I tell the difference between a Pied & a White Wagtail?
I saw a wagtail with Pied head & tail but a grey back... was this a White Wagtail?
Thanks
Aiden

If it looked like this then yes it was........

Attachments

• White_Wagtail_St._Marys_17.05.06_Paul_Hawkins.JPG
    White_Wagtail_St._Marys_17.05.06_Paul_Hawkins.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 312
Hi, Can anyone help me, how can I tell the difference between a Pied & a White Wagtail?
I saw a wagtail with Pied head & tail but a grey back... was this a White Wagtail?
Thanks
Aiden

However female pied's can sometimes look like a white wagtail.

The Northern Birder is right. Female pied wagtails have grey backs, and can be pretty hard to distinguish from White wags in the field. There are additional features such as flank colouration, the contrast between the nape and back, and rump colour to consider before claiming a White wag.

Yes, if the flanks are white, not grey, its a white wagtail. I didn't get that one sorted for years!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back