• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to tighten hinge? (1 Viewer)

stabor

Does anyone know how to tighten the hinge on the old Elite? I've unscrewed the cap at the front end and don't see anything potentially adjustable underneath except another sort of cap with two small holes in it. If I find a tool to fit into this, would it do the trick?

Steve

Hi Stabor, I did tighten the hinge on my old Elites. I VERY CAREFULLY pried up the disc at the ocular end of the bins (it is glued down), the disc that says "Elite 10x42 5.6* field, etc. At that point, to the best of my memory, there was a small set screw visible in the large flanged 'bolt'. I took this screw right out, took out the large 'bolt', put some 'locktite red, #242' on its thread, re-installed it to a tightness that gave me an acceptable tightness of the hinge re-installed the set screw, firmly, then put a thin coat of contact cement onto the top of the large screw, and the underside of the disc, waited for it to (almost) dry, then pressed it firmly into place.
(I should mention that the disc could be prone to bending, so I lifted it up a tiny bit with a very fine screwdriver, then lifted it the rest of the way with a knife, to try not to bend it.)
Hope this helps, John

Last edited:
Hi Stabor, I would be interested to hear how you make out with the hinge adjustment, or will try to help further if necessary!
Regards, John

Why not send it back to the maker? Also I don't think I would want to use stud grade red Loctite, but Loctite 242 is the blue Loctite.
Steve

Hi Mooreorless, and Stabor, Thank you for pointing out my typo, it was indeed Loctite #242, Blue, that I used and should be used.
As far as sending the binoculars back to the manufacturer, this is always an option, one that I did not choose and, apparently, one that Stabor wanted an option to.
Thank you for your comments, I really enjoy learning from this forum.
Regards, John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back