• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

baffling bird - SW England. UK (1 Viewer)

mattroco

My grandparents and myself are totally baffled by a half dozen birds that have lately begun feeding. This is a busy town but in a mostly OAP area so the birds tend to be unafraid of people. But these birds scare away at the slightest noise and rarely eat for longer than a minute and are constantly alert which leads me to believe that they are not native town dwellers. They never ome alone, but always arrive in a group, usually with one or two acting as lookouts.
They are roughly the size of a blackbird. Although brown, they have fairly distinctive markings around the eyes and wing edge. Around the eyes, the feathers are a creamy colour. The wingedge has a distinct dark-brown/black stripe.
Most strikingly of all, however, is the beak: it is about an inch or so long and black.

I am a newbie to identification - but wanted to hazzard a guess at a young Starling? ( the cream colour around the eyes and the black beak are very similar descriptions to the young starlings we have in our garden.

Hopefully someone more informed than me will give you a definitive answer :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back