• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Glasgow, and surrounding areas (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hello there

In the future coming weeks I will be going up to Glasgow, and staying there the odd few days here and there.

The plan is that my OH, and I use this time to do some birdwatching in this area. We will be hiring a car so we can go anywhere just about within reason. o:)

We will be staying in Central Glasgow, but again travel will be no problem as we will have a car.

We have had a suggestion to visit Loch Winnoch by someone, but I would like for others to suggest additional sites that are good for birding at this time of the year.

All your help appreciated a lot. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Kathy

Lochwinnoch is good but as in most things east is better;-). The coastlines in Fife amd East Lothian offer some great winter birding and are only an hour or so from Glasgow. You are also within striking disrance of the Trossachs which is good for raptors. Barons Haugh, in Motherwell, is a good site and Hogganfield Loch in the north of Glasgow is one of the best sites in Scotland for Smew.

Cheers

David

As mentioned already Lochwinnoch is a good site, especially at this time of year. It's one of the best locations in Scotland for Hen Harriers, although sightings are still very irregular. Whooper Swans are regular as are loads of other wildfowl. If you're in this area, then a short drive away is Clyde Muirshiel Country Park where you can often see Dippers, Grey Wagtails, Stonechats.

It's only 5 minutes away from me, and I've never seen them, but apparently there are Short-eared Owls at Cathkin Braes on the south side of Glasgow.

Hogganfield Loch is very good for close up views - you'll have birds like Goosander and Whooper Swans practically within touching distance.

Down the coast in Ayrshire you could get some good birds, in Ayr for example you've got Black Guillemots almost always in view in the harbour area, as well as occasional Divers at close quarter too, and it turns up the occasional Glaucous Gull.

Baron's Haugh is good for other waterfowl including Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler, and it's reported that Water Rails can be sighted near some of the hides in winter, although I've not seen them myself. In the surrounding forest is one of the few breeding Nuthatch in this part of Scotland.

Ardmore Point on the north side of the Clyde can be a really good day out, but it's best if it's dry as the path can be very muddy, however I prefer to hug closer to the water where you can walk on the rocks. This is good for Red-breasted Mergansers and Slavonian Grebe but it's best if you have a scope.

If you had time, head out to the east to Aberlady Bay which is a fantastic location, one of the best locations in Scotland imo. It's probably getting on for two hours away from Glasgow, but well worth it. Some of the biggest gatherings of Fieldfares can be seen.

Kathy

Lochwinnoch is good but as in most things east is better;-). The coastlines in Fife amd East Lothian offer some great winter birding and are only an hour or so from Glasgow. You are also within striking disrance of the Trossachs which is good for raptors. Barons Haugh, in Motherwell, is a good site and Hogganfield Loch in the north of Glasgow is one of the best sites in Scotland for Smew.

Cheers

David

Hi David.

I will consider the alternative areas on the East coast too. I have not been to your mentioned places. I have lived in Edinburgh for many years and mainly visited areas on the East coast so I know that they are good for birds.

As mentioned already Lochwinnoch is a good site, especially at this time of year. It's one of the best locations in Scotland for Hen Harriers, although sightings are still very irregular. Whooper Swans are regular as are loads of other wildfowl. If you're in this area, then a short drive away is Clyde Muirshiel Country Park where you can often see Dippers, Grey Wagtails, Stonechats.

It's only 5 minutes away from me, and I've never seen them, but apparently there are Short-eared Owls at Cathkin Braes on the south side of Glasgow.

Hogganfield Loch is very good for close up views - you'll have birds like Goosander and Whooper Swans practically within touching distance.

Down the coast in Ayrshire you could get some good birds, in Ayr for example you've got Black Guillemots almost always in view in the harbour area, as well as occasional Divers at close quarter too, and it turns up the occasional Glaucous Gull.

Baron's Haugh is good for other waterfowl including Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler, and it's reported that Water Rails can be sighted near some of the hides in winter, although I've not seen them myself. In the surrounding forest is one of the few breeding Nuthatch in this part of Scotland.

Ardmore Point on the north side of the Clyde can be a really good day out, but it's best if it's dry as the path can be very muddy, however I prefer to hug closer to the water where you can walk on the rocks. This is good for Red-breasted Mergansers and Slavonian Grebe but it's best if you have a scope.

If you had time, head out to the east to Aberlady Bay which is a fantastic location, one of the best locations in Scotland imo. It's probably getting on for two hours away from Glasgow, but well worth it. Some of the biggest gatherings of Fieldfares can be seen.

Hi JTweedie

I have not been to Clyde Muirshiel Country Park, but I have been to Falls of Clyde many years ago and have some distant memories about it.

Not heard of Cathkin Braes eiher, and I will add that to my list of places.
Baron's Haugh another place I have never visited. Same applies to Ardmore Point - so plenty of places to think about.

I am familar with Aberlady Bay etc as those are places I have had assocation with in the past with my conservation activities.
They are excellent for birding as they are based on the edge of the Coastline. I remember seeing lots of Terns at John Muir Country Park and that is a beautiful Reserve - so scenic.

I think it would be a good idea to visit places OH and I have not been to before as it makes things a lot more interesting.

Thank you for your assistance everyone :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

There are also Bean geese in the fields just outside the village of greengairs north of Cumbernauld which is a 15-20 minute drive from the centre of Glasgow.
There is a map and posts on this on the "my birding day" forum under Barnacles and beans.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back