• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-1 Advice. (1 Viewer)

tommyzoom

Hi, I'm looking for a new eyepiece for my TSN-1. As it is my first scope and I have no idea about the technical side about them, I thought I'd post here for some help.

I currently have this eyepiece but have been told that this isn't the right eyepiece for my scope because its for a 60mm objective lens when mine is a 77mm. It works perfectly well though and has the right attachment and everything. It is a second-hand scope though so the previous owner could well have bought the wrong eyepiece...

What I want to know basically is whether this eyepiece will fit my TSN-1?

If not then does anybody have any suggestions?

Hi, I'm looking for a new eyepiece for my TSN-1. As it is my first scope and I have no idea about the technical side about them, I thought I'd post here for some help.

I currently have this eyepiece but have been told that this isn't the right eyepiece for my scope because its for a 60mm objective lens when mine is a 77mm. It works perfectly well though and has the right attachment and everything. It is a second-hand scope though so the previous owner could well have bought the wrong eyepiece...

What I want to know basically is whether this eyepiece will fit my TSN-1?

If not then does anybody have any suggestions?

I have an old catalogue for the TSN scopes from the 80s/90s and this eyepiece does look the same as the one in the catalogue, which could be used on both the 60mm and 77mm scopes of the time, though as you say they were really for the 60mm scopes. Perhaps the original owner was on a tight budget?

If it is the same one it is not really going to get the best out of your scope, as the field of view at 1000m is only 19m, compared to 40m and 59m for the 30x wide angle and 20x wide angles respectively.

There are newer 20x and 30x wides which will fit your scope and which I believe are better than the eyepieces which were available at the time. They should be both sharper, brighter and with a wider field of view, however they are about twice the price of the one in your link.

See here (scroll down half way down the page):

http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/kowa-c25.html

Another option would be to look out for an older used wide angle eyepiece for the Kowa TSN-1/2/3/4 scopes, which might cost you about the same as the 40x in the link, maybe a bit less.

Try posting a request in the classified ads here on BF, or keep an eye on the used sections on the websites of Ace Cameras, Cley Spy, In Focus, London Camera Exchange etc.

Steve

ps. there is a used 30x TSN eyepiece here for £89 (near the bottom of the page)

http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/usedequipment.html

BTW did you know there is a used TSN-4 for sale at the moment in the classifieds section for £280. It comes with a 30x wide angle and looks to be in good nick. If I were you I'd buy that and sell the TSN-1 for perhaps £100. Should be both sharper and brighter than your TSN-1. Bargain!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back