• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wireless adaptor problem (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

After many months of abuse, my netgear WG111v2 finally gave up the ghost. No problem i thought - I'll but a replacement.

It arrived - I plugged it in.. it was actually a v3.... no problem I thought, I updated the drivers.

It connects to my network beautifully, but not t'internet.

I've been virtually inside my router. I got the WPA-PSK key correct, the MAC address is correct, but its steadfastly refusing to connect. IP address is 0.0.0.0 - whatever I do.

Any knights in white shining armour got any ideas?

hope its that simple....

I'm just reinstalling - I noticed the region was set to US... whereas the router correctly thinks its in Europe....

So we shall see!

Hmm. well that made no difference. Can't see how to change the channel... and I'mnervous about titting about with the router, since 4 other lap tops, ire everyone else in the house, is connected perfectly well!

edit: can see how to change channel, but will wait until my other half has finished watching being human on the I-player - for fear of repercussions!

Hmm. well that made no difference. Can't see how to change the channel... and I'mnervous about titting about with the router, since 4 other lap tops, ire everyone else in the house, is connected perfectly well!

edit: can see how to change channel, but will wait until my other half has finished watching being human on the I-player - for fear of repercussions!

Hmm - well if the others are working then it's not the router surely?

no the router is fine, other laptops work, the wired connection works.... just my wireless connection doesn't, thorugh the new adaptor....

Though I am connected to the network, I can't access t'internet

Thanks Niels. I got excited when I saw an older version of the drivers and an installation programme that allowed to to specify Europe. Alas it makes no difference. Annoyingly it (the control panel for the wireless adapter says that I'm connected to the internet when the wired connection is present, but it reverts to connected to router when I remove the wire!

Its doing my head in officially!

The IP address in your first post isn't right. Have you checked in the adapter settings in Network and Sharing centre on your computer. To see if the IP settings are "ticked"

I'm on XP SP2 - I can't see a network and sharing centre! On hardware settings, when I get down to the Wireless adaptor, I can't see anything about IP settings.

Have a Pc expert with me, have you got Norton Internet Security installed. If not if you go on to Control Panel then look for Network you should be able to find the adapter in there and check it's settings.

I had something similar happen,all indications said I was connected to the Internet signal strength excellent put I could not get any pages up ,just the message not connected ,,it turned out all I had to do was re login to my isp, probably not the same but it had me up the wall................computers !!!!!!!!!

Brian

I should add, that the onboard, rather short range and rather slow wireless adapter on the laptop is also connecting without a problem too - in fact I'm using it now.

I just need to be no more than a few meters away from the router (which is why I was using a usb wireless adapter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back