• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss FL review from the USA (1 Viewer)

Curtis Croulet said:
Is "plastic" the correct description of this material? Carl Zeiss Sports Optics (the USA organization that finally shows the FL on their website) calls it "glass fiber-reinforced polymer with a 60% glass fiber component." BTW, CZSO persistently uses the term Victory FL.

The eye tubes seem to be made from something not unlike the material in a circuit board, and yes I think that it is a composite. There's probably more composite hidden inside too. It strikes me as good use of materials i.e. light and strong and probably even more corrosion and chemical resistant than metal. But the hinge covering seems to be a high density polyethylene. It's fine, but I just prefer the look of metal.

But Andy B. makes a good point. The Swarovski could be a bit harsh on the fingers on a cold day what with all that exposed metal.

I was out in a Beech woods this afternoon doing some mushroom picking, and took the Zeiss along, and it is very very nice indeed. Then again it should be at the price!

John Traynor said:
Curtis,

I think the lack of objective, scientific information is what spawns such lively debate.

John.
Quite agree.
mak

On the other hand, when someone says the light transmission figure for bin A is 84%, for bin B it's 89%, and for bin C it's 94% I take serious note because that data has real meaning! The other optical qualities we've discussed are probably carefully measured, but rarely publicly reported for a host of reasons.

John.
Quite agree. Measured data, which can be independently tested. Unfortunately I do not think that this information will be published, however those people who have the data to hand, must have a quiet smile, looking at the debates. mak

I asked a question sometime ago that went unanswered so I'll ask it again. Is there some inherent compromise that says if you make the center near perfect, as Zeiss has done on the FL, you won't be able to maintain that level of exellence far away from the center? In other words, does a perfect sweet spot dictate a relatively small sweet spot?

John.

The thread 10x42 FL Birding Day thread has some information, that may help.
Questions asked should be answered.
mak

Leif said:
... The Zeiss and Swarovski use the same central diopter mechanism. Both are good. ....I would be interested to hear comparisons of the Zeiss FL with a Leica Ultravid or a Nikon HG(L)/LX.

Leif, thanks for this most interesting comparison. I'd also like to have the Ultravid included as you suggest.
But now my question: In the Zeiss Victory 1, it sometimes happens that the diopter adjustment is inadvertently altered, something I have never had a problem with on the Leica Trinovid. The adjustment knob does not come out that easily there. What about the FL now, has this problem occurred? Or will you please pay attention and report in the future? Thanks,

Robert

By the way, the Swiss Zeiss office also consistently called the FL the Victory FL in a recent mail to me!

About 6 weeks ago, when I had my FL out on its first major expedition, to the White Mtns. of California, I was horrified one day to find the focus not working. I quickly discovered that the focus knob had pulled out to where the diopter adjustment was operating, not the focus. How the focus knob was accidentally pulled out, I have no idea, and the episode has not been repeated.

Swissboy said:
Leif, thanks for this most interesting comparison. I'd also like to have the Ultravid included as you suggest.
But now my question: In the Zeiss Victory 1, it sometimes happens that the diopter adjustment is inadvertently altered, something I have never had a problem with on the Leica Trinovid. The adjustment knob does not come out that easily there. What about the FL now, has this problem occurred?

Robert: I have had no problems with the diopter knob, and it works fine. In fact the action is rather like on the Trinovids. Do remember that I have only had them a week or two, although I have been out with them last weekend, most evenings and this afternoon.

Curtis Croulet said:
About 6 weeks ago, when I had my FL out on its first major expedition, to the White Mtns. of California, I was horrified one day to find the focus not working. I quickly discovered that the focus knob had pulled out to where the diopter adjustment was operating, not the focus. How the focus knob was accidentally pulled out, I have no idea, and the episode has not been repeated.

It's very easy to inadvertently pull the focus knob out to the diopter setting whilst extracting the bins from their case...done it myself.

Grousemore said:
It's very easy to inadvertently pull the focus knob out to the diopter setting whilst extracting the bins from their case...done it myself.

That sounds like it's still pretty much the same as with the Victory I. There ought to be something like a click stop, maybe, to reduce the likelihood of inadvertently pulling that knob out. I'm not sure how Leica manages it, but there really does not seem to be a problem.

In addition, Leica - at least in the Trinovids, I don't know about the Ultravids - has a display on top of that knob which allows for instant controlling. In the Zeiss one has to lift that knob to check whether the setting has not changed. |=@|

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
That sounds like it's still pretty much the same as with the Victory I. There ought to be something like a click stop, maybe, to reduce the likelihood of inadvertently pulling that knob out. I'm not sure how Leica manages it, but there really does not seem to be a problem.

The diopter knob on my Zeiss 8x42 Fl has a definite click stop and it requires a fair bit of effort to pull it out and push it in. I have no complaints.

Leif said:
The diopter knob on my Zeiss 8x42 Fl has a definite click stop and it requires a fair bit of effort to pull it out and push it in. I have no complaints.

That's the same for my Zeiss 10x42 FL.

Rich

I just got out my 1042 FL and tried the diopter knob again. There is a definit detent to over come both opening and closing. It isn't difficult to pull open. But it isn't easy to the point where I would worry about it coming open when I'm not trying to open it. I've used this binocular on three, half day binding trips (12 hrs total) and not had a hint of it "opening" in normal use.

Rich

Last edited:
I'm sure they are all very much alike. They seem to work well.

My Leica BAs and BNs have diopter knobs that really pop in and out.

Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back