• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Grebe or Great Crested Grebe (1 Viewer)

BirdsPeru

Alejandro Tabini
I need some help to ID this grebe. It looks like a Great Grebe (Podiceps major) but the white on the base of the neck make me doubt about it and think about Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus).

Pictures not so good because taken from a video taped today in the morning at Pantanos de Villa. First picture is an adult with a chick and second picture is the adult closer.

Hope someone can help me with the ID.

Alejandro

Attachments

• cap004.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 185
  • cap010.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 151
hi alejandro,
your pics show definitely great grebe, pod. major and not podiceps cristatus which differs in structure, colour of foreneck (whitish) and, in breeding plumage, its namegiving crest and brown-red cheek feathering. feeding its chick it has to be in breeding plumage. see attached pic.

Attachments

• podcri.jpg
    podcri.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 142
Without doubt a Great Grebe. A Great Crested Grebe *anywhere* in South America would be a major sensation, no less! Basically, one would have to cross over either from Africa - and then cross South America to get to Peru! - Or the second option would be one crossing the Pacific, which would be rather sensational aswell!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back