• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glacier National Park (1 Viewer)

BOBD

I saw this weekend a chicken sized bird hiking near Bowman Lake in the thick forest. These birds (about 6 of them) had absolutely no fear of humans. These birds were mostly brown feathered w/ some black streaks throughout their bodies. They were only on the forest floor and were leaping up to grab berries from the low lying bushes. They showed no inclination to fly when we were in touching distance and continued on their quest for berries as if we were not there. It appeared as if their feathers ran all the way down to their talons. Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is?

Thanks
Bob

Dave B Smith said:
I thought of Spruce Grouse and White-tailed Ptarmigan. Spruce Grouse commonly act oblivious to people. (they tell me, I've not found one yet!)

Here's a link to some photos of White-tailed Ptarmigan .

Here's a link to Spruce Grouse

It's hard to identify a forest grouse from a physical description but as Dave points out, the behavior is typical of Spruce Grouse.

Dave: spruce grouse are failrly common in Kanananaskis Country just standing on the edge of any fire road or trail, especially if there is any slope. I've hiked right by them and they will hold their own. The males, when defending a territory, can be down right nasty. The roughed grouse are more secretive and either run away or stand tall and still like a statue until you pass. I've never seen enough blue grouse to krecognize any behavior they might have.

cayoncreekman said:
Dave: spruce grouse are fairly common in Kanananaskis Country just standing on the edge of any fire road or trail, especially if there is any slope. I've hiked right by them and they will hold their own.

They keep telling me that ;) . We hiked up to Ptarmigan Cirque last weekend. Saw the Highwood Pass Herd of Bighorn Sheep, lots of groundsquirrels and a Pika, and 3 young White-tailed Ptarmigans, but no Spruce Grouse. I'll keep looking.

Dave B Smith said:
They keep telling me that ;) . We hiked up to Ptarmigan Cirque last weekend. Saw the Highwood Pass Herd of Bighorn Sheep, lots of groundsquirrels and a Pika, and 3 young White-tailed Ptarmigans, but no Spruce Grouse. I'll keep looking.

Don't tell anyone but I've never seen a Ptarmigan at Ptarmigan Cirque.

A fun but bit strenuous hike is to follow the creek about a half km the opposite direction from the Ptarmigan Cirque parking area and then head up the slopes. Just pick any spot that looks like you can go up. There's a series of flat areas every few hundred feet of altitude and bull Elk and big R.M. Sheep rams and Grizzlies use them as natural 'hiways' above the valley. You can also use these yourself and get quite a view of the cirque across or even views to the West in B.C. if you keep going up. the rock ledges look precarious from below but aren't bad when you're up to them. It's a bit of a grind but well worth it.

This photo from above 'might' work.

oops. Small photo for such a 'big' view.

Attachments

• _ptarmigan.jpg
    _ptarmigan.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back