• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elite 8x43 (1 Viewer)

Larry Usselman

I had an opportunity to compare several mid-to-high end roof prism binoculars over the weekend, and of the lot, I was most favorably impressed with the Bushnell Elite 8x43 bins. Besides excellent optical performance, they felt so good in my hands that I had a hard time putting them down, and kept going back to them as I compared the other binoculars.

I anticipate replacing my 8x42 Nikon Monarchs sometime in the next few months, and I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to try the Elites and what their opinions might be...good, bad, or otherwise.

One thing I have noted with new binoculars is that when you look at them in the store you fallin love with the optics. The one thing you do not get in the store is carrying them around on your neck for 3 hours. Some turn out to be quite heavy. Check the spoecs on these and others at some on line store like Eagle Optics.

Thanks, Tero. Actually, one of the main things that impressed me about the Elites was the light weight (~23 oz.), just slightly heavier than my Nikon Monarchs (21.5 oz.). I don't think weight is going to be a issue. The shop where I was testing them is out in the country and has a back porch with plenty of views of various targets, long views across farm fields and hills, and a good crop of neighborhood birds, so I was able to get some "real world" experience, not just looking across the store aisles.

One thing I have noted with new binoculars is that when you look at them in the store you fallin love with the optics. The one thing you do not get in the store is carrying them around on your neck for 3 hours. Some turn out to be quite heavy. Check the spoecs on these and others at some on line store like Eagle Optics.

Last edited:
I have the 10x43 Elite and have been very, very pleased with it. It is a superb binocular. I have carried it around my neck for far more than 3 hours at a time (try more like 12-14hours) and it has never caused me a problem.

Larry,

I think you and I exchanged emails before but I could be mistaken. I am glad to see another PA resident posting. There seems to be quite a few of us that frequent these forums. I think I know the shop you are referring to though I have never been out there. It seems to be fairly highly regarded though on the PA Bird Listserve.

I have owned a pair of the 8x43 Elites last summer. My opinion of them overall was very favorable. I found their design and physical appearance to be quite desirable. Truthfully I thought they were the most attractive bins I have owned. Optically they were also very good with two small issues. I thought the 360-odd foot field of view was a bit narrow compared to some of the other high end glasses out there but, arguably, better than the usual 330 foot field of view found on many of the $300-$600 models.

The other issue was the image appeared ever so soft to me for some reason. I spent a great deal of time with them in a variety of lighting conditions and I just could not seem to get the sharpest view that I wanted from them. After speaking with others that owned them (lucznik above was one of them) I have come to the conclusion that I just must have had a bum pair in that regard. I did have the opportunity to evaluate another pair at Cabelas earlier this year and did not seem to notice that "softness" however I was only able to evaluate it in the store.

If your goal is to find the lightest weight high end binocular in this configuration then I think you found it. None of the others that I have owned or tried come close to 23 ounces at this quality level.

Larry,

I think you and I exchanged emails before but I could be mistaken. I am glad to see another PA resident posting. There seems to be quite a few of us that frequent these forums. I think I know the shop you are referring to though I have never been out there. It seems to be fairly highly regarded though on the PA Bird Listserve.

Hi Frank...yes, I believe we may have exchanged messages back last year when I was shopping for a spotting scope and tripod (I ended up with a Pentax PF-65ED angled scope, Vixen 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, along with a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod & head combo.)

If you ever get out to the midstate (about halfway between State College and Harrisburg), the shop in question is well worth the detour. It's quite unique...the primary business is a shoe store with the optics shop housed in the same building. It's owned by an Amish family who are quite active birders and are extremely knowledgeable about binos and scopes. Their selection of equipment is outstanding...almost all medium-to-high-end brands and well-stocked. Their prices are also quite competitive...even with many of the Web-only merchants.

I'll probably take the plunge by September...the Elite seems to still be my favorite, but once I get back to the shop with cash in my hand, it's hard to say what I'll end up with.

Thanks for your comments.

Larry

I look forward to hearing further comments on the issue when the time comes Larry. I may try to make a trip out there but if I make the trip then I am probably going to have to buy something. I better start saving now....;-) Maybe another eyepiece for my Pentax is in order. Glad to see you went that route as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back